FREDERICK SIEG. SCHLESINGER - In making the distribution of credits for valued contributions to the remarkable
advance in the new development within the Real Estate field, and in the notable improvement in housing conditions
in The Bronx, a generous share should be given to Fred. S. Schlesinger, President of the Demont Realty Company
and the Davidora Apartment House Corporation, and himself a finished Architect and Builder, who knows the construction
business as related to Apartment Houses and other dwellings both in theory and practice. Mr. Schlesinger received
a fine start in his chosen profession in high class technical schools in his native Berlin, Germany, and supplemented
that academic training with an intimate course in the New York City Building Department, in the Tenement House
Department, which was created in 1902, and is, perhaps, the most important of all the City Departments, and in
the Architectural Division of the New York City Board of Education, all of which helped him to become thoroughly
familiar with the new Tenement House and Building Laws, also with construction of School Buildings, Theatres, etc.,
that he might be fully qualified to proceed with building operations on his own account, Two of the conspicuous
examples of Mr. Schlesinger's progressive building operations that have added to value of real property in The
Bronx are "Davidora Court," on the southeast corner of Tremont and Devoe avenues, the first large Apartment
House built east of the Bronx River, and "Alvin Hall," Nos. 1320-1328 Grant Avenue, between One Hundred
and Sixty ninth and One Hundred and Seventieth streets. The first named Apartments, the building being five stories
high, are modern in every detail, attractively designed both as to exterior and interior, with. the last work of
comfort and convenience. This house is named in honor of Mr. Schlesinger's parents, David and Dora, to make the
euphonious combination "Davidora," The ground floor is given over largely to stores and offices for professional
purposes, while the four upper floors are most conveniently laid out, each apartment being naturally lighted and
attractively appointed, with every model and modern equipment installed that the Twentieth century housewife could
wish. "Alvin Hall," owned by the "1325 Grant Avenue" Corporation, a holding company, of which
Mr. Schlesinger is also the President, is a beautiful structure of six stories, of Venetian design, and, if anything,
a considerable advance in many details, size and appointments included, over "Davidora Court." Both houses
are admirably situated near subway and surface electric lines and within easy walking distance of railroads to
the north, east and west. The people of The Bronx who live in the zone which Mr. Schlesinger has helped to improve
in his splendid way with these light, pleasant and airy homes for the city dweller are most cordial in their praise
of this forward looking citizen and real estate operator for the fine work he is continuing to do for their section
of the Metropolis.
Fred. S. Schlesinger was born in Berlin, Germany, May 23, 1868, the son of David and Dora Schlesinger, natives
of the Fatherland, the mother dying in October, 1921, and the father in November, 1923, he having been retired
from active pursuits many years before his death. The son, Fred. S., one of eight children, was a mere boy when
selected for the profession of Architecture, because of his precocity in that direction. He attended the Royal
High School of Berlin, and thence entered the Berlin Technical School, completing his studies of the theory of
Architecture in the Building Academy of Berlin. He then began to put his theories into practice as an Architect's
apprentice in his home city. He served his bond term, and had reached the age of sixteen years, when his parents
decided to move to America, believing that their son would have greater opportunities in this country for making
a career for himself. The family arrived in 1884 and the youthful Fred at once applied himself to learning the
American methods of building construction. He obtained positions with the leading Architects in the city, with
the New York Building Department, and in 1902 was appointed by the Civil Service Commission as Architect of the
Tenement House Department of New York (Manhattan) and Brooklyn. From 1904 to 1906 he was attached to the Architectural
Division of the New York City Board of Education. In these positions he became thoroughly versed in the revised
Tenement Building Laws to the end that he completed his terms of employment for the city and emerged a full fledged
Architect and Builder.
Mr. Schlesinger's connection with active building operations in greater New York City found its first outstanding
expression in the erection of the five story "Davidora Court" apartments, No. 1104 East Tremont Avenue,
The Bronx. This fine building, a distinct advance in buildings, housing a large number of tenants, was completed
and ready for occupanee July 1, 1923. Mr. Schlesinger's company, under which he operated for the construction and
holding of "Davidora Court," is known as Demont Realty Company, of which he is President, the name being
derived from the first syllable of the word Devoe (Avenue) and the last syllable of Tremont (Avenue), on which
thoroughfares the house is situated. The "Davidora Apartment House" Corporation is another corporation,
under which Mr. Schlesinger operates, while he is the executive head of the "1325 Grant Avenue" Corporation,
under which style he holds and manages the "Alvin Hall" Apartments, acknowledged to be properly placed
in the front rank of houses of that type in The Bronx.
Mr. Schlesinger has the material interests and the public welfare much in mind in the management of his Real Estate
business. He is building not only for the present Apartment Houses of approved type of construction but also for
his future that his reputation for progressiveness as a Realtor shall not be dimmed with the passing of years.
He is identified with the Free and Accepted Masons as a member of Shakespeare Lodge, No. 750, and is affiliated
with Columbus Lodge, Knights of Pythias. He also is a member of the Level Club of the Masonic Order and of The
Real Estate Board of New York.
Fred. S. Schlesinger was married, February 10, 1909, in Manhattan, New York City, to Martha Jacobus, who died January
12, 1918, a daughter of William Jacobus, who died in his native Germany. He is very fond of the outdoors and his
favorite pastime is experimenting in the Photographic and Radio fields.
Mr. Schlesinger has his business headquarters at No. 1106 East Tremont Avenue, and his residence at No. 1104 East
Tremont Avenue, The Bronx, New York City.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium