JAMES B. LENAHAN - President of the cut stone concern of which his father, Bernard J. Lenahan, helped to build
up, and of which he was president until his death in 1915, James B. Lenahan is known throughout Greater New York
as one of the largest dealers in cut stone for building purposes in The Bronx. Among the jobs for which he has
supplied materials are about twenty public school buildings, for the old Twenty third Ward Bank, for the Dollar
Savings Bank, now The Bronx County Trust Company, the Irving Columbia Trust Company, Fordham branch of the Corn
Exchange, the Concourse Plaza, Bronx Terminal Market, and many apartment houses in The Bronx and Manhattan. He
also supplied stone for the entrance and approaches to The Bronx Zoo and Horticulture Building, in Bronx Park,
and the Nurses' Home on Brother Island. In maintaining this extensive business James B. Lenahan is merely carrying
out the ideals and policies of his father. Known at present as James B. Lenahan, Inc., No. 2820 Marion Avenue,
the business was started almost forty years ago, in 1887, as R. W. Kane & Company, at One Hundred and Fortieth
Street and Rider Avenue, with Bernard J. Lenahan as president. It continued as R. W. Kane & Company until 1895,
when on the death of R. W. Kane and Patrick Cummings it became known as Bernard J. Lenahan, and continued under
this title until the death of Mr. Lenahan, Sr., in 1915. The son succeeded to the presidency and changed the name
to that which it bears at present. The father, who was a man of rare business acumen and judgment, was born in
Ireland and came to the United States at the age of twenty one.
James B. Lenahan was born in Albany, September 19, 1882, the son of Bernard J. and Anna (Doherty) Lenahan. He was
educated in Ursuline Academy and the public schools of Manhattan, and at an early age started working in the business
of which his father was president. Father and son worked hand in hand to expand their enterprise and at the time
of the death of Mr. Lenahan, Sr., they were filling contracts, not only in The Bronx, but all over Greater New
York. The growth of the enterprise has continued under the son's management.
James B. Lenahan married, in New York, in 1915. Mary Brenner, daughter of Charles and Mary Brenner. They are the
parents of three daughters and a son: Marion, Anne, Bernice, and James B., Jr.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium