MORRIS HELLER - Engaged in the real estate business for more than a quarter of a century, Mr. Heller has been
established for many years in The Bronx and since 1906 has been senior member of the firm of Heller & Sussman,
with headquarters in recent years at No. 391 East One Hundred and Forty ninth Street, The Bronx. Much of the great
success and prosperity of this concern is attributable to Mr. Heller's extensive knowledge of his business, his
keen judgment of real estate values, his energy and ability, and his well established integrity. He is also prominently
active in the political, fraternal and religious life of The Bronx and for many years has been a liberal contributor
to numerous charitable and benevolent institutions and organizations.
Morris Heller was born at Covnow, Germany, July 3, 1876, a son of the late Samuel and Bloomer Heller, the former
a linen weaver to the time of his death in 1892, the latter deceased in 1916, both lifelong residents of Germany.
Mr. Heller came to the United States at the age of eleven years, and attended the public schools of Cleveland,
Ohio, for the next three years. He then came to New York and became a resident of The Bronx. Eventually he entered
the real estate business, and in 1904 established himself in business on his own account and under his own name.
Two years later, in 1906, he took Mr. Sussman into partnership, a connection which has endured since then. At one
time the firm was engaged in building operations on One Hundred and Third Street and also erected garages on One
Hundred and Fiftieth Street. The bulk of its business, however, consists of operating, buying and selling of real
estate. Mr. Heller has always taken a deep interest in the needs and difficulties of those less fortunate than
himself and he donated and built a school for poor children at No. 1786 Washington Avenue, The Bronx. He is also
a supporter of The Bronx Hospital Association, the Home of Jacob and the Cover Institution, the latter organization
having for its purpose the extending of help to poor and deserving people by lending to them money without charging
any interest. He is also a member of Bronx Lodge, No. 871, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. In politics
he is a supporter of the Democratic party, taking an active interest in public affairs and being a member of the
Arthur H. Murphy Association. He has also contributed liberally many times both to churches and to synagogues.
Mr. Heller married, in The Bronx, December 24, 1903, Nettie Miller, a daughter of the late Samuel and Matilda Miller.
Mr. and Mrs. Heller are the parents of four children: Sylvia; Sanford; Jeannette, a student at Hunter College;
Theresa. The family home is located at No. 253 East One Hundred and Seventy sixth Street, The Bronx.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium