GEORGE A. HEFTER-A public servant with a very wide range of constructive experience in the civic life of The
Bronx, George A. Hefter, who through the various grades of the Bronx government departments has rendered the efficient
service of substantial dependability as assistant engineer, and as deputy and secretary to a number of the foremost
commissionerships of county and district, has performed an outstanding work in behalf of the progress of the community.
His part, and that of his father, are both distinctively on record, as of fundamental as well as of continuous
value in securing a permanent attractiveness for The Bronx in matters both residential and of a general business
building interest. Mr. Hefter is a son of Lorenz Hefter, who was born July 19, 1833, in Bavaria, and died in The
Bronx, June 7, 1907, and of Anna (Rung) Hefter, who was born March 22, 1836, in Bavaria, and died November 4, 1900,
in The Bronx; Lorenz Hefter was an early comer to the Unionport section, and settling there about 1890, erected
the first eight family house at Nos. 2162-2164 Westchester Avenue, that still stands there; his brother, John B.
Hefter, was for many years proprietor of the popular and well known Swan Hotel, on the old Harlem Road.
George A. Hefter was born July 22, 1876, in old Melrose, at No. 626 East One Hundred and Fiftieth Street, and he
attended the Christian Brothers School of the Immaculate Conception, and later the Queen of the Angels School at
One Hundred and Twelfth Street, near Third Avenue, after which he took a course in higher mathematics at Harlem
Evening High School. He began work in 1896 in the Engineering Bureau of Commissioner Louis Haffen's office, Mr.
Haffen being Commissioner of Street Improvements of the Twenty third and Twenty fourth wards and Annexed District,
in charge of the engineers and surveyors for the same. He continued in that employ until 1900, when he accepted
a position with the Rapid Transit Commission in the engineering department, in charge of the tunnel under Central
Park and Lenox Avenue from One Hundred and Tenth Street to One Hundred and Thirty fifth Street. Remaining with
this commission up to 1905, he returned to The Bronx and accepted a position in the engineering department, where
he continued until 1907, when he became assistant engineer, which position he held until January 1, 1911.
In July, 1913, Mr. Hefter was appointed examiner in the State Tax Department at Albany, where he remained until
January 1, 1914. He took an active part in assisting to bring about legislation and in creating an interest among
Bronx citizens to establish a separate county of The Bronx, which was created in 1914 by act of Legislature at
Albany. Mr. Hefter was then made deputy county clerk in charge of the Naturalization Bureau under County Clerk
James V. Ganly, who was the first Bronx county clerk; and in 1918 he was appointed secretary to the Commissioner
of Public Works, William J. Flynn, a position he still holds.
In addition to his duties for the governing departments of The Bronx, Mr. Hefter has for many years been active
in real estate in the Unionport section, in whose increasing development both himself and his father were pioneers.
Here he has served as president of the Unionport Taxpayers' Association; and he was one of the organizers and vice
president of the Chester Taxpayers' Alliance, which comprised thirteen taxpayers' organizations. He was also chairman
of their transit committee, and chairman of the committee in charge of celebrating the breaking of ground for the
subway in The Bronx. He is president of the George A. Hefter, Incorporated; president of the Trichester Realty
Corporation; president of the Terray Realty Corporation, and secretary of Tregreen Realty Corporation, with offices
at No. 2215 Westchester Avenue, The Bronx. Fraternally, Mr. Hefter is affiliated with Bronx Council, Knights of
Columbus; and with the Chippewa Democratic Club.
George A. Hefter is married to Lucy Watson, daughter of John Hicks Watson and Johanna (Van Roerinond) Watson, and
resides at No. 2026 McGraw Avenue, The Bronx.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium