CHARLES FRANK GIRAUD is one of the best known citizens of The Bronx because of his public spirit and activity
in the promotion of general welfare, while he is prominent throughout all New York and vicinity because of his
professional eminence as a licensed engineer. Together with his partner, James M. Welsch, president of the New
York State Society of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, of which Mr. Giraud is a director, he is in the
front rank of city engineers and is called on to perform much of the important construction work under way throughout
the Metropolitan area today. The partners have also lent themselves vigorously to the promotion of the above mentioned
society, the object of which is cooperation with the New York State Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
and other engineering associations in order to enforce the license law, and to insure the public, one the one hand,
of well trained engineers, and the engineers, on the other, of remuneration commensurate with the training they
have acquired and the responsibilities they assume.
Charles Frank Giraud was born March 26, 1888, on Eighth Avenue, New York City, son of Louis Hubert and Louisa Caroline
(Volz) Giraud. The father, born in 1850, is now in his seventy seventh year, and the mother, born in 1862, in Philadelphia,
daughter of Frederick G. and Louisa Caroline Volz, is in her sixty fifth year. The family resided in Boston, Massachusetts,
between the second and twelfth years of Charles Frank Girand, who consequently began his elementary education in
the Boston schools. He continued at Public School No. 9, on East One Hundred and Thirty eighth Street and Brook
Avenue, The Bronx, graduated from Morris High School in 1904, and studied engineering in the day school of Cooper
Union Institute, which he attended for four years, graduating with a degree of Bachelor of Engineering in 1908,
and that of Civil Engineer in 1912. He then completed his preparation for the pursuit of his profession by a postgraduate
course at Columbia University. His first professional position was with the engineering department of the New York
Central Railroad, where he remained until 1924. He then formed his present partnership with Mr. Welsch (whose record
accompanies this), under the firm name of Giraud and Welsch, engineers and surveyors, with offices and drafting
rooms at No. 470 East Tremont Avenue, The Bronx. As each partner is a licensed engineer for the States of New York
and New Jersey, and licensed by the city of New York as city surveyors, they are recognized as fully qualified
for the most important and responsible work. The excellent training of each confirms their position in the front
rank of their profession. Such construction as the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Centre at One Hundred and Sixty
eighth Street and Broadway is entrusted to them, as is the Psychiatric Institute, the Theodore Roosevelt High School
in The Bronx, and the New York Training School for Teachers. The firm has been called on to develop transit projects
for various civic organizations, and their work extends throughout New York, New Jersey, Brooklyn, and Long Island.
Membership on the New York State and New Jersey State societies of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors and
The Bronx Board of Trade indicate Mr. Giraud's interest in general affairs. He is also a member of the Cooper Union
Alumni Society and the Trowel Lodge, No. 873, Free and Accepted Masons.
In September, 1919, Charles Frank Giraud married Elsa Buhl, daughter of Dr. Henry and Annie C. (Lauer) Buhl. Two
children were born of the union: Frank Hubert, October 27, 1920; and Barbara Ann, May 15, 1925.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium