JOSEPH FRANKEL - For almost two decades connected with the jewelry trade, Mr. Frankel first entered this business
right after he left school as a boy of thirteen years, then served a long ana thorough apprenticeship with a well
known Maiden Lane firm, and finally established himself in the jewelry manufacturing business as a member of the
firm of Pedersen & Frankel, with factory and offices at No. 1060 Stebbins Avenue, The Bronx, their establishment
being the only one of its type in The Bronx.
Joseph Frankel was born in Odessa, Russia, January 4, 1895, a son of Herman and Eva (Kreek) Frankel, both natives
of Odessa, where his father was born in 1862 and his mother in 1870. His parents came to the United States when
he was three years old and settled at No. 49 Essex Street, in the lower East Side of Manhattan. There his father
established himself in the tobacco business in which he continued for many years. However, when the movement from
this overcrowded section of Manhattan to the wider space of The Bronx began, his parents were among the first to
seek improved living conditions for themselves and their family and they moved to The Bronx while he was still
a child. His father continued with his business in its downtown location until the time of his death, which occurred
in New York City in 1909, his wife surviving him only a short time, dying in 1910.
Joseph Frankel was educated in the public schools of The Bronx, being a pupil of Public School No. 42, at Claremont
Parkway and Washington Avenue. He left school when he was only thirteen years old and began work in the employ
of the jewelry firm of Charles B. Byron, No. 291 Seventh Avenue, Manhattan, where he remained for one year. He
then secured a positions, with Schanfein & Tamis, manufacturing jewelers, No. 38 Maiden Lane, continuing in
their employ for nine years. It was there that he laid the solid foundation of his knowledge of the jewelry craft
and business in all its branches, a foundation on which he has built in later years to such good purpose that today
he is considered one of the leading members of his trade. Serving with this firm a well balanced apprenticeship
in the art cf gold and platinum smiting, he has become a finished artist in all branches of jewelry craftsmenship.
In 1918 he decided to go into business for himself and for that purpose formed a partnership with Harold C. Pedersen
(see preceding biography), like himself a thoroughly trained jeweler and artist. The new firm, operating under
the name of Pedersen & Frankel, established their factory and offices at No. 1060 Stebbins Avenue, The Bronx,
where they have continued since then, meeting with immediate success which has steadily grown as the years passed
Mr. Frankel is a member of Lebanon Lodge, No. 191, New York City, Free and Accepted Masons. He remains unmarried
and makes his home at No. 1813 Crotona Avenue, The Bronx.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium