MAX DEUTSCH - An inventive turn of mind, applied to his particular field of work, chiropody, resulted in the
development by Mr. Deutsch of the old idea of "shoes made to order" into the new science of "prescription
shoes." Max Deutsch was born in Hungary, November 23, 1866, a son of Meyer and Sarah Deutsch. The family later
moved to Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany, where the father, a teacher, died.
Max Deutsch was educated in the various schools in Germany, and, after coming to the United States in 1885, took
up the study of chiropody, having previously redeived some instruction in podiatry in Frankfort. Graduating from
the School of Chiropody in August, 1898, he began the practice of his profession. In August, 1902, he established
himself at No. 2655 Third Avenue as a manufacturer of "prescription shoes," being a pioneer in this field
and the only manufacturer of "prescription shoes" in the city of New York, these shoes being made absolutely
as per specifications of the orthopedic surgeons. He continued to apply his inventive talents to the needs of certain
types of feet for special footwear and one of the results was his "Gravid" maternity shoe, which was
patented February 22, 1916. Since then he has developed various improvements entitling him to new patents. Besides
being a member of The Bronx Association of Chiropodists, he is a member of the National Association of Chiropodists,
Mr. Deutsch is an honorary member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, a member of The Bronx Board of Trade and The
Bronx Chamber of Commerce, the Rotary Club and the South Bronx Civic League. How highly he is regarded by his fellow
merchants in that part of The Bronx in which his own establishment has been located for more than two decades is
shown by the fact that he has been elected three times president of the Mott Haven Merchants' Association. Mr.
Deutsch and his family are members of the Free Synagogue of New York, founded and ministered by Rabbi Stephen S.
Mr. Deutsch was married in New York City, April 27, 1897, to Bertha Levy, daughter of Isaac and Clara Levy, both
since deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Deutsch are the parents of three children: Sylvia, Melvin, and Ivan. The family home
is located at No. 1135 Grant Avenue.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium