DR. JOHN JACOB DECKER - Dr. John Jacob Decker, one of the leading eye, ear, nose and throat specialists of The
Bronx, was born in Beverly. New Jersey, July 29, 1873, the son of William J. and Cornelia (Brinkerhoff) Decker.
The family moved to New York City while he was very young and he received his early education in the public schools
of that city. Later he entered Colgate Academy, and in 1897 was graduated from the Medical Department of the New
York University In 1900 he started practice in the Tremont neighborhood of The Bronx, but for the past three years
has been located in the Areco Building, No. 391 East One Hundred and Forty ninth Street. Dr. Decker is surgeon
of the Harlem Eye and Ear Hospital, consulting ophthalmologist to the Home for Incurables, oculist and aurist for
the Home for Aged of the Little Sisters of the Poor, and is a past president of The Bronx County Medical Society,
and of the Medical Society of the Borough of The Bronx. During the World War he served his country on the medical
advisory board of The Bronx. His fraternal affiliation is with Guiding Star, No. 565, Free and Accepted Masons,
and his religious connection is with the Tremont Baptist Church.
Dr. John Jacob Decker married, June 29, 1898, in New York City, Jessie Gilbert Fairbanks, daughter of Isaac and
Mary Fairbanks. Dr. and Mrs. Decker are the parents of three children: Katharine, born June 8, 1899; Richard, born
November 5, 1902; and Jean, born June 4, 1912. The family residence is No. 1966 University Avenue.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium