JAMES CUNNING is favorably known throughout The Bronx and its environs by reason of his long and efficient public
service to the borough and county and of his former connection with the old firm of James Cunnion & Son, who
were engaged in the roofing contracting business in the Metropolitan area many years.
Born in New York City, July 20, 1868, James Cunnion is a son of James and Julia (Byrne) Cannion, both now deceased,
the mother born in Ireland in 1844. The father, born in New York City in 1827, engaged in the business of roofing
contractor, and in 1857 established the firm of James Cunnion & Son, which, at the time of the founder's death,
was the oldest roofing contracting firm in Greater New York and its immediate vicinity. Until the elder Cunnion's
death the firm was extensively engaged in business throughout The Bronx, and had been in continuous operation for
nearly seventy years.
The son, James Cunnion, was graduated from De La Salle Institute, New York City, in the class of 1881, finishing
at the Bureau of Commerce, Manhattan College, New York City, in the class of 1885. His alma mater later conferred
upon him the degree of Master of Arts. At the conclusion of his college career, he associated himself with his
father in the roofing business, with which he was actively identified until the latter's death in 1908, having
done much to build the business up to the high status it enjoyed for many years. In business matters Mr. Cunnion
gave ample proof of his ability and progressive ideas.
A staunch Democrat in his politics, Mr. Cunnion has served his party with loyalty and an efficiency that speak
for themselves. From 1909 to 1917 he was chief inspector and acting superintendent of the Tenement House Department
of the Borough of The Bronx, and afterward occupied the position of United States deputy marshal. In 1918 he was
appointed to his present post, as equity law clerk and chief clerk, office of the County Clerk, Bronx County. He
is also a director and vice president of the Public Security Bond and Mortgage Corporation, and of The Claremont
National Bank of New York, New York City. During the World War, Mr. Cunnion gave much time and thought to war work,
and served, under the Knights of Columbus, as supervisor of camps of the Northeastern District. He is an organizer
and a Past Grand Knight of the Mystic Rose Council. Knights of Columbus; a Past District Deputy of the Sixteenth
New York District, Knights of Columbus; a member of Fourth Degree, Knights of Columbus, and a former member of
its degree corps; and a member of the Holy Name Society. He was chairman of the Eighth Assembly District (Democratic)
Club, of The Bronx, and was captain of the district more than twenty five years. He is a communicant of the Roman
Catholic Church of St. Philip Neri, of The Bronx, and a liberal supporter of its activities. He also maintains
a keen and generous interest in local civic and charitable enterprises.
James Cunnion married, June 8, 1898, in the Church of the Holy Rosary, New York City, Delight Cecelia Warner, of
Springfield, Massachusetts, daughter of Henry and Sarah (Kane) Warner, her father a native of Bernardston, Vermont,
and her mother of Springfield. To Mr. and Mrs. Cunnion have been born eight children: 1. Julia. in 1900. 2. James,
in 1902. 3. Robert, in 1906. 4. Regina, in 1908. 5. John, in 1910. 6. Genevieve, in 1912. 7. Theodore, in 1914.
8. Eleanor, in 1916. Mr. Cunnion has his business headquarters in the County Clerk's office, One Hundred and Sixty
first Street and Third Avenue, The Bronx, and his residence at No. 2850 Valentine Avenue, in that borough.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium