CHARLES SPENCER CLARK, a well known architect of The Bronx, and a man who has designed some of the most beautiful
buildings in that part of the city, was born on September 7, 1864, on what was formerly Woodruff Street, in The
Bronx. This address has since been changed to One Hundred and Seventy sixth Street Mr. Clark is a son of Charles
and Imogene (Drake) Clark, both of whom are now deceased. Imogene (Drake) Clark, the mother, was born in 1835,
at Wading River, Long Island, New York, and she died during 1924, in the eighty ninth year of her age. Charles
Clark, the father, who was born on Columbia Street, in New York City, and who died during 1888, in the fifty ninth
year of his age, was a carpenter and a builder, a man of much note in this field of endeavor.
His son, Charles Spencer Clark, received his education at the old West Farms Public School, and he later began
work with his father and uncle, H. & C. Clark, carpenters and builders of The Bronx. There he served his apprenticeship,
learning and mastering the joiner's trade; but during all this time he was also attending night school courses
in architecture at Cooper Union Institute. This carried him over a period of time very slightly in excess of five
years, so that he worked with his father and uncle for some twelve years in all. Then, in 1888, he branched out
for himself, carrying on a general practice of his profession as an architect. This proved to be a successful branch
of the building industry, and today Mr. Clark has the reputation of being one of the best men in his profession
in The Bronx. He has designed some of the principal buildings in that part of the city, and among the more important
of the structures built upon his plans are the Bergen Building, designed for William C. Bergen, the building engineer,
the Francis Kiel & Son factory, the overhauling and repair work that went into the general remodeling of The
Bronx Company mills, many of the residences and apartments built by the leading construction companies of that
part of the city, such as that of Max Jacobson; he designed the Tremont Temple Synagogue on the Concourse, and
the Edison Studios at Decatur Avenue and Oliver Place, and he is at present designing apartments for Morris J.
Grossman, a real estate operator and builder, who is constructing two apartments, one on Townsend and Mt. Eden
avenues, and the other at Walton and Mt. Eden avenues.
Indeed, Mr. Clark is the second oldest architect living in The Bronx, and the oldest now engaged in his profession;
a well preserved man who is devoted to hunting and fishing, a lover of the woods and open country. He is a member
of the Whitcomb Gun Club, and the Old Timers' Association of The Bronx; he is fraternally affiliated with the Guiding
Star Lodge; No. 565, Free and Accepted Masons; and he takes a particularly active interest in all local civic affairs,
being noted for the fine manner in which he stands behind any movement designed for the welfare or advancement
of his community.
Charles Spencer Clark married, February 23, 1887, at Seventy second Street, near Central Park West, New York City,
Annie Sarah Budworth, a daughter of William S. and Addie (Manchester) Budworth. Mr. and Mrs. Clark now maintain
their residence at No. 740 Fairmount Place, in The Bronx.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium