JOHN GERHARD BORGSTEDE - Among those financiers and business men of The Bronx who have had the privilege of
sharing the history of the North Side Savings Bank, and very substantially aiding in its progress and prosperity,
its president, John Gerhard Borgstede, from the beginning has been a staunch supporter of its every interest, has
made for the bank many scores of friends, and has been instrumental in establishing its present and future prospects.
Mr. Borgstede is everywhere known and appreciated as a man of rare business gifts; his training was that of the
great school of general business; and he made as fine a repute in the real estate world as he has done in the financial.
He is a son of John H. Borgstede, a farmer, who was born in Gehrde, Germany, in 1837, came to the United States
in 1858, and died in 1907, and of Anna (Feldscher) Borgstede.
John Gerhard Borgstede was born September 1, 1867, in New York City, where he attended the public schools, and
was graduated at Packard's Business College. Mr. Borgstede began his business career when he was seventeen years
old in the employ of Louis Franke and Company, silk merchants, doing business at No. 110 Grand Street, New York
City, with whom he remained eight years. He then decided to engage in the real estate business on his own account,
and thereupon he opened an office at No. 207 East Fifty fourth Street: and as he possessed a natural aptitude for
this business, he made a success of it from the start. He worked hard and devotedly and followed his rule of sterling
honesty, and established his excellent reputation.
Mr. Borgstede continued in the real estate business until 1911, when he was elected president of the North Side
Savings Bank, of which he was one of the original founders, in association with the following named organizers
and trustees: John J. Barry, who was elected the first president; John Bambey, John W. Bolton, Theodore J. Chabot,
T. Joseph Dunn, J. Clarence Davies, John J. Fox, Michael J. Garvin, George J. Grossman, John C. Heintz, William
H. Keating, Charles B. Lawson, George N. Reinhardt, Dr. John Riegelman, Christian Rieger, Anthony Stumpf, Walter
Wilkins, Fred H. Wefer, Robert C. Wood. From the beginning, January 30, 1905, the bank began to prosper, and in
the following March the amount of the deposits was $17,547.85. and they have steadily mounted to the grand total
of $15,017,874.27 in 1925, a remarkable achievement.
Mr. Borgstede was elected president of the bank, November 28, 1910, Dr. John Riegelman, vice president; Fred H.
Wefer, vice president; John M. Haffen, treasurer; Arthur A. Ekirch, secretary; and since organization the present
board of trustees: John G. Borgstede, John C. Heintz, Christian Rieger, Dr. John Riegelman, Fred H. Wefer. Fraternally,
Mr. Borgstede is affiliated with Lilly Lodge, No. 342, Free and Accepted Masons; and he is a member of the Schnorer
Club of Morrisania.
John G. Borgstede married, September 18, 1889, Josephine Klenke, daughter of Henry and Sophia (Bartels) Klenke.
Their children: 1. Sophie A. Borgstede, who married Albert C. Mau, and they have three children: Helen, Josephine,
Edna. 2. Anna J. Borgstede, married J. George Gross, and they have two children: Elizabeth and Dorothy. 3. Louise
E. Borgstede, married Arthur A. Ekirch, and they have two children: Arthur and Kathryn. 4. Josephine Dorothy Borgstede.
5. Mildred E. Borgstede, married Edmund F. Wagner; they have a son, John William Wagner.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium