J. J. REYNOLDS - Among the men engaged in extensive industrial operations in Binghamton J. J. Reynolds must
be given a leading position. Mr. Reynolds came originally from Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where he was born
December 13, 1886, a son of James J. and Catherine B. (Murray) Reynolds, both of whom were natives of Scotland.
The father, who was a master mechanic on the Erie railroad for many years, died in 1906. The mother survived him
nearly ten years, her death occurring in 1915.
After finishing his education in the high schools of his native community, Mr. Reynolds immediately became a wage
earner, and for seventeen years did iron work for various concerns in Pennsylvania, a part of the time occupying
the position of foreman of jobs. In 1913 he came to Binghamton and joined in the organization of the firm of Clark,
Reynolds & Hawley, to engage in ornamental iron and welding work. The first location was at No. 191 State street,
but the quarters there soon were found to be too small for the business as it was growing and removal was made
to Prospect avenue and Eldridge street. In 1918 Mr. Reynolds bought out the interests of his partners in the business
and has continued operations under his own name up to the present time. He then acquired the property at No. 89
Eldridge street, where the plant is now located, utilizing four buildings and employing upwards of fifteen people.
This is reputed to be the largest welding plant between New York City and Buffalo, and handles business originating
in a radius of a hundred miles from Binghamton. The machine shops are completely equipped for handling all kinds
of high class jobs in the ornamental iron work line. In addition to filling contracts from plans and specifications,
Mr. Reynolds also carries a large stock of steel angles, beams, channels and other steel forms for building purposes.
In the social and religious life of Binghamton Mr. Reynolds fills a prominent place, being a member of the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, the Loyal Order of Moose, the Chamber of Commerce and the Automobile Club, while
his church affiliation is represented by membership in St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church.
Binghamton and Broome County
Editor in chief: William Foote Seward
Libarian for the Binghamton Public Libraey
Lewis Historical Publishing Company
New York and Chicago, 1924
Broome County, NY
Names A to H
Names I to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium