H. W. FITZ GERALD - Among the well known known men of Binghamton, New York, whose business operations are of
more than local extent, is H. W. Fitz Gerald, general contractor, who maintains headquarters in the Press building.
Mr. Fitz Gerald is a native of Alaska, where he was born October 30, 1875, a son of J. A. and Emily (McCorkle)
Fitz Gerald. His father, who was a native of Indiana, and a surgeon in the United States Regular army, with the
rank of captain, died in 1877, and his mother, born at Columbia, Pennsylvania, died in 1911.
In preparation for his chosen profession Mr. Fitz Gerald took special courses in civil engineering at Princeton
and Lehigh universities, and when he was ready to engage in work in this line, secured a position with the Pennsylvania
railway, which he retained for seven years. Following that he spent six years doing construction work for various
concerns in Pennsylvania, at the end of which period he started in business for himself, his first location being
at Palmyra, New York. From there his work took him to Philadelphia, then to Rochester, New York State, and finally,
in 1514, he came to Binghamton and established his offices here, and this has ever since been the center of his
operations. He was at first located at No. 175 Chapin street, but in 1520 secured his present offices at No. 611
Mr. Fitz Gerald takes contracts for construetion work all over the Eastern States, some of the notable jobs he
has handled being at Camp Bragg, North Carolina, during the war, at Rochester, New York, for the Eastman Kodak
Company, and at Binghamton, the First Ward dike. He employs upwards of fifty skilled workmen in the projects which
he handles, everything that he undertakes being completed in a high class manner. During the World War Mr. Fitz
Gerald was placed on the reserve list of railroad engineers, and given a commission with the rank of captain. He
is also a veteran of the Spanish American War, having been a member of the Governor's Troop of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania,
which saw service in Porto Rico.
The memberships in various clubs and societies which he maintains marks Mr. Fitz Gerald as one of the leading citizens,
a list of these including: The Country Club, the Automobile Club, the Broome County Sportsmen's Association, the
Chamber of Commerce, the Master Builders' Association, the Sigma Phi fraternity, and the Young Men's Christian
The marriage of Mr. Fitz Gerald to Olive Anderson, of Brooklyn, New York, took place in 1912. Both he and his wife
are attendants of the Episcopal church in Binghamton.
Binghamton and Broome County
Editor in chief: William Foote Seward
Libarian for the Binghamton Public Libraey
Lewis Historical Publishing Company
New York and Chicago, 1924
Broome County, NY
Names A to H
Names I to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium