Dr. William C. Hines, of Kenesaw, has gained a large and profitable practice as a veterinarian and has won high
standing professionally. He was born on the 10th of May, 1880, in Science Hill, Pulaski county, Kentucky, a son
of Shelton and Nancy (De Board) Hines. The mother, who was born near Bethel, Casey county, Kentucky, in 1847, died
in 1882 and the father subsequently married Miss Siotha Carson, a daughter of George and Polly (Girdler) Carson,
who spent their entire lives in Kentucky. Mrs. Hines is still living and makes her home with the Doctor.
Shelton Hines, the Doctor's father, was born in Pulaski county, Kentucky, December 22, 1845, and at the time of
the Civil war enlisted on the 4th of August, 1863, as a private of Company D, Thirteenth Kentucky Cavalry, which
fought on the Union side, serving two years and two months. At the battle of King Saltville, Virginia, he was wounded
in the hand and thigh by the same bullet and later in the battle was captured by the Confederates. He was confined
in Libby prison for seven months and seventeen days and during that time was almost starved. The privations which
he endured there so weakened him that he was almost helpless for two years after his release as for twenty one
months after he was wounded he was unable to walk. He was honorably discharged October 23, 1865, on the surgeon's
certificate of disability. At length he regained his strength and about 1870 purchased a farm, which he operated
until 1903. In that year he retired and removed to Kenesaw, Nebraska, where he resided until his demise on the
10th of November, 1908. His political allegiance was given to the republican party and his religious belief was
that of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Dr. Hines received a common school education in Kentucky and after leaving school worked on the home farm for a
time and also partially learned the carpenter's trade. In June, 1898, he removed to Kenesaw, Nebraska, and for
two years thereafter was employed as a farm hand. The next two years were spent as a fireman on the Chicago, Burlington
& Quincy Railroad, during which time he made his home in McCook, Nebraska. Later he went to Marshall, Texas,
and for six weeks worked for the Texas & Pacific Railroad. During the following ten years he was in the employ
of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad as fireman, engineer and brakeman. Having determined to enter the veterinary
profession, he next spent three years at the McKillip Veterinary College in Chicago and was graduated from that
institution in April, 1912, with the degree of D. V. M. He at once located at Kenesaw, Nebraska, where he has since
engaged in the active practice of his profession. He has demonstrated his ability and although he has only been
in practice for about four years he has secured a patronage that would be a credit to a man of much longer experience.
Dr. Hines supports the republican party at the polls and is now serving acceptably as a member of the town board.
He holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and casts his influence on the side of righteousness and
justice. He is well known in fraternal circles, belonging to the Masonic order, in which he has taken thirty two
degrees, to the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and
the Alpha Sigma, a college fraternity. He is also a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Engineers.
He has made many warm friends in Kenesaw since his arrival here and is one of the most highly esteemed and respected
residents of the town.
Past and Present of
Adams County, Nebraska
Supervisong Editor: Judge William R. Burton
Assistant Editor: David J. Lewis
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Adams County, NE
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium