Mulford M. Haynes is a member of the firm of Haynes Brothers, conducting business at Hastings as decorators.
They stand in a conspicuous and enviable position in their chosen field of labor, the excellence and beauty of
their work winning for them a liberal patronage and insuring to them a continuance of the trade. Industry, promptness
and reliability are also factors in their growing success.
Mulford M. Haynes was born in Henry county, Illinois, November 16, 1867, a son of E. P. and Joanna (Barrows) Haynes.
The family came to Nebraska in 1877 from Illinois and settled on a farm where the cemetery is now located. There
the father carried on general agricultural pursuits for a number of years but afterward lived retired. Both he
and his wife have now passed away.
Mulford M. Haynes pursued a public school education and afterward turned his attention to the building business,
working at the carpenter's trade. For seven years he was in the employ of W. L. Vetter, a decorator, and in 1900
he and his brother purchased the business of Mr. Vetter and have since continued active along that line. They have
done work all over this section of the state and now employ fifteen men. They have decorated the principal buildings
in Hastings and also many fine structures elsewhere and their work presents many beautiful and artistic features
as well as all that is new and novel in their line. Their patronage is extensive owing to the excellence of their
work and their business integrity, their reputation in business affairs being unassailable.
On the 31st of March, 1897, Mr. Haynes was united in marriage to Miss Ida Gilbreth, a daughter of John Gilhreth,
of Hastings. To them have been born four children, namely: Gilbert N., Dorothy L., Katherine J. and John W.
In his political views Mr. Haynes is independent, while his religious faith is that of the Christian church. Fraternally
he is identified with the Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Haynes belongs to the Commercial
Club and is interested in all the plans and projects for the upbuilding and development of his city. He served
for four years as a member of the city council and exercised his official prerogatives in support of many plans
and measures for the general good. He was one of the first to take up the fight against saloons and has always
been a stalwart supporter of the cause of temperance. In a word, he stands for anything that is for the betterment
of the individual or the community and his influence is always on the side of right, reform and progress.
Past and Present of
Adams County, Nebraska
Supervisong Editor: Judge William R. Burton
Assistant Editor: David J. Lewis
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Adams County, NE
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium