H. D. CONE, wholesale and retail dealer in hardware, Nos. 46 to 48 East Second street. This business has been
in successful operation in this city since 1855, and the proprietor is not only the oldest hardware merchant, but
the oldest merchant of any kind now doing business in the city. When business was started the house occupied the
west twenty feet of the present lot, was thirty feet deep and gave employment to one tinner, Mr. Cone himself being
sole salesman. This establishment was destroyed in the great fire of 1862, in which the loss was $10,000 above
insurance. The same and following season the present structure was built. The lot upon which it stands fronts sixty
feet on Second and has a depth of 140 feet; the building is a three story brick and stone basement, 40 feet front,
125 deep, the whole four floors devoted to the business of the house, which gives employment to two traveling salesmen,
nine clerks and bookkeeper and two manufacturing tinsmiths. The house carries a full assortment of shelf and heavy
hardware, tin and wagon stock. Sales for 1882 about $175,000. R. D. Cone is a native of Shenango county, New York,
and was in the stove and tinware business in Rochester, in that state, before coming to Winona, April 9, 1855.
Mr. Cone was candidate for the mayoralty of this city when the office was first created, and defeated. He has since
held the office two terms, and has several times represented his ward in the common council and on the city school
board. He was born November 8, 1821; married July 3, 1848, and Ijas four children surviving his wife, who died
some years since. The family residence is on the corner of Fifth and Main streets.
The History of Winona County
Together with Biographical Matter, Statistics, Etc.
BY: A. T. Andreas
H. H. Hill and Company, Publishers
Winona County, MN
Names A to H
Names I to Y
Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906