GEORGE W. BLAIR, N. E. of Sec. 10, township of Saratoga. This claim was made April 14, 1855, by the present
proprietor, and proved up by him October 1, 1860. Forty five acres have been added to the original claim and the
farm now includes 205 acres, almost exclusively prairie soil, which, in this locality, is a deep vegetable loam
with a clay subsoil. There are now upon the farm. thirty five head of hogs, seven l1orses and eight head of cattle.
The average yield per acre for the season of 1882 was as follows: Wheat, 14 bushels; oats, 42 bushels; barley,
35 bushels; corn, 40 bushel; timothy seed, 6 1/2 bushels; hay, 1 1/2 and 2 tons. The first dwelling on the premises
was erected in 1855, and was occupied until the present residence was built in 1870, a comfortable. tasty and commodious
two-story frame. Mr. G. W. Blair is a native of Bennington, Vermont, but was for many years prior to his location
in the county a resident of Albany, New York, where, previous to 1853, he was employed as clerk in both retail
and wholesale hpuses From 1853 to 1855 lie was employed as keeper in the Sing Sing States prison, on the Hudson.
His wife, Miss M. S. Deuel, came with him from Albany, and they have five children living, all born on the old
homestead. They are, George N. Blair, born July 20, 1855, the first white child born in Saratoga township; Burr
D. Blair, born May 11, 1858 Hattie E. Blair, born January 27, 1860, and Alice E. and Florence E. (twins), born
December 27, 1865. The two sons are quite liberally educated, having supplemented such teaching as the county afforded
with some time at Ann Arbor, Michigan. They have both taught school, an employment in which Burr D. was engaged
the past winter, and from which he has recently returned to his studies at the University of Michigan.
The History of Winona County
Together with Biographical Matter, Statistics, Etc.
BY: A. T. Andreas
H. H. Hill and Company, Publishers
Winona County, MN
Names A to H
Names I to Y
Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906