Biography of Henry Y. West
Monroe County, MI Biographies





HENRY Y. WEST was born in Washington county, N. Y., in 1815. His parents, Andrew and Elizabeth (Younglove) West, left Washington county, N. Y., in the winter of 1817-18 and removed to Christian county, Ky., where they remained until 1827. and then with an ox team removed to Detroit; Mich. In 1827 they located in Oakland county, making a short stay at Birmingham. In the fall of 1829 took up 40 acres of wild land in the town of Southfield, and soon after built a tannery, the first in that locality. Henry Y. left the family here and struck out for himself, and worked about one year in a saw mill, five miles north of where the village of Flint now stands,and from thence went to Shiawassee county. He was married in 1839 to Miss Harriet Gook, of Delaware county, Ohio, and they have seven children now living. In 1840 he located in Detroit; in the fall of 1853 came to the town of Ida, Monroe county, and took up 40 acres of wild land at what is now Lulu, on the Toledo, Ann Arbor and North Michigan Railway. being the first sdttler of that locality. In 1884 he was made postmaster at. Lulu, and now holds that office. Has always taken a lively interest in church matters, establishing the first meeting at Lulu by keeping a minister for two years mostly at his expense.

From:
History of Monroe County, Michigan
Talcott E. Wing, Editor
Munsell & Company, Publishers
New York 1890.

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Monroe County, Michigan Biographies

Names A to C
Names D to K
Names L to P
Names R to Z

Online
Biographies

Michigan
Histories

Ohio
Histories

New York
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012