EDWIN ALGERNON GILBERT, the proprietor of the Petersburgh Journal, is the son of Peter H. and Harriet E. (Jenkins)
Gilbert, being born January 27, 1862 in Tekonshaa, Calhoun county, Mich. He served his time as a printer in the
Enterprise office at Gales burg. in 1887 he moved to Petersburgh and purchased the Journal. May 27, 1888, he married
Carrie E. Hafer, then living with her sister, Mrs. Theodore Cook, in Eckford township, near Homer, Mich., who died
April 25, 1889, was buried in the cemetery at Homer. She left one son born April 7, 1889. Edwin is the youngest
of four brothers, and contrary to the traditional custom of his craft is a total abstainer, and since 1881 has
been an active member of the Good Templars, and although only thirteen are with him, is a strong Prohibitionist.
While in Burlington he united with the Free Baptist church, with which faith he still holds communion.
History of Monroe County, Michigan
Talcott E. Wing, Editor
Munsell & Company, Publishers
New York 1890.
Monroe County, Michigan Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to K
Names L to P
Names R to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium