WILLIAM CLAMPITT, son of Gabriel and Mary Clampitt, was born at Devonshire, in the parish of Chagford, England,
in 1828. He married Elizabeth Thorn, of the same parish, in 1850, by whom he had twelve children, eight of whom
are now living. In 1852 Mr. Clampitt left his native country and family, and came to America, and made his first
permanent stop at Sylvania, Lucas county, Ohio, where he landed with only 50 cents in money and $10 in debt, and
it was not until 1854 that he was able to procure a passage for his wife to this country. He remained at Sylvania
until 1864, turning his time to the best account; he then purchased 60 acres of land in Whiteford, on which there
was a small clearing, and settled thereon. He now owns 140 acres of valuable land, of which 120 is under cultivation.
On his arrival in America he at once applied for naturalization, and cast his first vote for president for John
C. Fremont, and from that time to the present has been identified with the Republican party, and has taken a lively
interest in American institutions and improvements.
History of Monroe County, Michigan
Talcott E. Wing, Editor
Munsell & Company, Publishers
New York 1890.
Monroe County, Michigan Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to K
Names L to P
Names R to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium