Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
ISAAC L. ROOT was born in Greenwich township, Fairfield Co., Conn., July 26, 1839. His father, John P. Root,
was born in Pennsylvania, where he lived until he was nineteen years old. He then went to Fairfield Co., Conn.,
and engaged in farming, and became the owner of a small farm, which he sold in 1858, and with his family moved
to Michigan and located the farm he now owns on the southwest quarter of section 1, in Oshtemo. Isaac grew to manhood
in Connecticut, going to school winters and working on his fatherís farm summers, until he was seventeen years
old, when he commenced to learn the masonís trade, which he has since followed. When the family came to Michigan
he came also, and in 1865 bought the northeast quarter of the northwest qnarter of section 12, which he has improved;
and upon which he has built one of the fine houses for which Oshtemo is noted. Mr. Root confines himself almost
entirely to his trade, jobbing mostly, yet managing his farm very successfully. In politics Mr. Root is a Republican,
and of the stalwart kind, though he has never taken an aetive part in political matters. He takes a good deal of
interest in schools, and was for six years one of the school officers. On the 11th day of September, 1862, Mr.
Root married Hannah Isadore Kingsley, daughter of Moses and Hannah (Williams) Kingsley. She was born in Oshtemo,
Jan. 9, 1844. Her father was among the first settlers of Oshtemo, and is a prominent man. He has been for many
years secretary of the Farmersí Mutual Insurance Company of Kalamazoo, and is now a resident of the village of
Kalamazoo. He was born in Brighton, Mass., March 5, 1810; came to Michigan in 1830, and to Oshtemo in 1836. There
have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Isaac L. Root the following named children: Herbert L., Aug. 9, 1865; Myron, May
4, 1867; Bertha, Sept. 18, 1872; and Luella, Sept. 13, 1875.
History of Kalamazoo County, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of its Men and Pioneers.
Everts & Abbott., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia.