Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
MARTIN McKAIN, one of the venerable pioneers of Kalamazoo County, was born in 1796. He was a miller by trade,
which avocation he followed until his emigration to' Michigan, in the spring of 1833. He located one hundred and
ninety one and eleven one-hundredths acres of land, now covered by the village of Augusta, and returned East, and
in the fall of that year came on with his family, which consisted of his wife and five children, Martha, Mary,
David, Samantha, and Martin. A brother-in-law, Mr. Chaffee, had previously settled in the "Indian fields,"
and during their stay with him, while a log house was being constructed, Mr. McKain traded his land for the farm
now owned by William Cobb. Here he resided until the spring of 1836, when be sold, and purchased the property where
his son David now resides, and where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1856, in the sixtieth year of
his age. He married Jerusha Chaffee, by whom he had eight children, Martha, Mary, Samantha, Caroline, Augusta,
David, Martin, and James, five of whom are now living. He was a shrewd business man, and acquired a competency.
He was closely identified with the interests of Pavilion, and officiated in some official capacity during his entire
residence. He was a man of great strength of character, and a consistent member of the Methodist Church. No one
was more highly esteemed, and in his death Pavilion lost a valuable citizen.
History of Kalamazoo County, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of its Men and Pioneers.
Everts & Abbott., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia.