Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
William B. Clement was born in Johnstown, Montgomery Co., N. Y., Nov. 4, 1805. His father, Lambert Clement,
was born June 4, 1757, in Johns— town, where he grew to manhood, and became a farmer. He reared a family of seven
sons and one daughter. At the breaking out of the Revolutionary war be was captain of the Johnstown militia company,
which was called into active service. Mr. Clement served through the war, and was in many battles and skirmishes.
He was present at the surrender of Burgoyne, and came home a colonel. At the close of the war he sold his farm
in Johnstown, and moved into the west part of Montgomery County, where he bought a new farm. This he owned until
1837, when he moved into Ohio, where he resided with his son, Richard, until his death, in 1843. When William B.
was twelve years old he went to learn the blacksmith trade of Judge Hurlburt, with whom he remained five years.
He then worked as a journeyman in the cities of Albany, Troy, and other towns; in this way perfecting himself in
his trade, when nineteen he built a house and shop in Pleasant Valley, and worked on his own account. He remained
there three years, then went to the Black River country, where he built a shop and house. Remained there three
years, losing his health during the time by hard work. The next three years he spent his summers in Saratoga. In
1835, his health having improved, he came to Michigan, and in the town of Marshall, Calhoun Co., located the southwest
quarter of section 12. On this farm he made fine improvements and built good buildings. He also built a brick house
in Marshall. In 1849 he sold his farm, and went to Pine Grove, Van Buren Co., where he built a steam saw-mill.
Here he bad two mills burned, but he persevered1 and built a third, which his son now owns.
In 1860, Mr. Clement bought a farm in Oshtemo, which he greatly improved, and built a fine house and barns. Also
owned three sections of land in Missouri, which he bought of the government, and from which he realized a handsome
profit. In 1863 he sold his Oshtemo farm, and moved into the village of Kalamazoo, where he has built three fine
houses. In 1879 he moved with his wife into the town of Brady, on the Clement farm, where he still resides. In
politics Mr. Clement ia s Democrat. April 16, 1826, he married Miss Sybil Peters, daughter of James Peters. Children,—Margaret,
born May 4, 1827; James L., March 3, 1830; Charles A., Sept. 3, 1834; Timothy, Aug. 7, 1837; Seth N., Sept. 26,
1840; William P., May 10, 1842; George, Sept. 17, 1844; Mary, Oct. 1, 1846; Amy A. and Emily Jane, (twins), Dec.
24, 1850. Amy A. died Dec. 18, 1852.
History of Kalamazoo County, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of its Men and Pioneers.
Everts & Abbott., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia.