Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
HENRY BARNUM was horn in West Bloomfield, Ontario Co., N. Y., Sept. 17, 1819. His parents, Lewis and Margaret
(Rhoda) Barnum, had a family of eight children , six sons and two daughters. When Henry was eight years of age,
his fathS removed with his family to Chautauqua County, where he remained until his emigration to Michigan, in
1836. He first settled in the town of Blissfield. Lenawce Co.. where he remained three years, when he removed to
Washtenaw County, and from thence to Eaton County, where he died, in the sixtyninth year of his age. He was a successful,
energetic farmer, and highly esteemed by all who knew him. Henry acquired a good common-school education, and lived
with his father until he attained his seventeenth year, when he purchased "his time" and started in busincss
for himself. He chose the occupation of his father, in which he has been highly successful. In 1842 he removed
to Eaton County, where he purchased a farm of two hundred acres, in the town of Smithfield. After a residence of
several years he sold his farm and came to the town of Oshtemo.
In 1851 he married Miss Fanny Tabor, of Pavilion, daughter of Abraham Tabor, one of the early settlers of that
town. They were blessed with two children: Everetta, born in Texas in 1853, and William H., born in Pavilion in
November, 1857. In 1878 Mrs. Barnum died. She was born in Erie Co., N. Y., in 1832. In 1879, Mr. Barnum was again
married, to Mrs. Elvira J. Himebaugh, who was born in Athens, Windham Co., Vt., in 1832.
The life of Mr. Barnum has been one of industry and economy. He has won a competency and an honorable record, and
is classed among the representative men of Pavilion; and while his name is not known in official circles, he has
led a life of usefulness, and is among the number who have aided in the development of Kalamazoo County.
History of Kalamazoo County, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of its Men and Pioneers.
Everts & Abbott., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia.