Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
Among those who came into Cass County at a somewhat later date than the earliest settlers, and who still performed
the labors of a pioneer on his farm, can be mentioned Mills Olds, who was born in Connecticut, October 14, 1813,
and is a son of Samuel, who died March 12, 1868, in his eighty second year, and Salinda (Remington), who departed
this life February 24, 1843, in her seventieth year.
Mr. Olds became early inured to hard labor, his father moving on a new farm when he (Mills) was quite young, and
was therefore prepared for the seven years spent in working by the month at hard manual labor. With the proceeds
of the labor of his hands, he purchased the farm in Mason Township, to which he removed in 1851, and where he died
Nov. 9, 1880. Before coming West, he learned the blacksmith's trade, but only followed the avocation of farming
after reaching his new home. Hctnesty, integrity and industry, and close attention to details were the principal
characteristics of Mr. Olds, and it was due to his industry, coupled with good financiering, that he accumulated
He affiliated with the Democratic party, and was elected by them to fill the office of Justice of the Peace, but
aside from the ordinary interest evinced by the bulk of American citizens in governmental affairs, he took no prominent
part in politics, he devoting the major portion of his time to business affairs. He was married December 24, 1845,
to Mary B. Arnold, who was born in New York State July 4, 1822, and departed this life January 28, 1859. Mrs. Olds
was a member of the Close Communion Baptist Church, and a very estimable lady.
They became the parents of children as follows: Stephen S. and May A., both of whom reside on the parental estate
of 300 acres, the former of whom is married to Ann, daughter of Rev. James Ashley; they they have two children-
Glenn H. and Dean S.
History of Cass Couny, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of some of it's Prominent Men and Pioneers.
Waterman, Watkins & Co., Chicago 1882.