Biography of William Jones
Cass County, MI Biographies

NAVIGATION

Michigan
Histories

Cass County
Biographies

Online Biographies

Illinois
Histories

Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]

William Jones, one of the early settlers and prominent farmers of Penn Township, was born in Preble County, Ohio, March 8, 1813. He is the son of Charles Jones, 'a native of Georgia, who was born January 20, 1792, and where he remained until the emigration of the family into Preble County. As has been stated elsewhere, the progenitor of the family was an English Quaker, who came t9 this country about the middle of the last century,' and settled in North Carolina, and from thence removed.to Georgia. The family have always remaimed true to the traits of their faith, and their detestation of human slavery was the prime cause of their removal to Ohio, then on the extreme frontier. In 1812, the elder Jones, Charles, was married to Anna Bogue, who was born in North Carolina, in January of 1789. The boyhood days of William were spent in this then sparcely settled region, sharing the privation of a pioneer family, but laying the foundation for a robust constitution, and developing those habits of industry and perseverance which became, in later years, the salient points in his character. In the spring of 1829, the elder Jones came to Cass County, then known as the

St. Joseph country," and located a large tract of land in the township of Penn; returning for his family, he made permanent settlement in November of that year. He built a cabin 2Ox3O feet, on land now owned by his son William, which was occupied by the family, which consisted of seventeen persons, and in which they were obliged to remain for some time. The elder Jones became one of the prominent farmers of this township, and at one time owned over 1,000 acres of land. He was an estimable man, and highly esteemed by all who knew him for his moral worth and social qualities. In 1852, Mrs. Jones died, and in 1853, he was again married to Prudy Pemberton. By the first marriage there were ten children- William, Stephen, Mary, Elizabeth, George, Charles, Anna M., Joseph, Lydia and Keziah; by the latter there were two, Merrill and Lodema. He died in 1832, "in a good old age, full of days, riches and honor." William was a member of his father's family until he attained his twenty-second year, at which time he was married to Miss Lydia, daughter of Henry Jones. After their marriage, the young couple commenced life for themselves on the old homestead, where he has since resided. In 1845, Mrs. Jones died, and in 1857 he was again married to Miss Maria, daughter of Benjamin Parish, of Kalamazoo County. She was born in Clarkson, Monroe Co., N. Y., March 29, 1824, and came to Michigan with her parents in 1841. By the first marriage there were six children, three of whom-Anna, Hannah and Elizabeth-are living, by the second, one child, William L., is living; three are deceased. In 1856, Mr. Jones purchased the old homestead, a view of which we present in this chapter. Mr. Jones is one of the largest and most successful farmers in the county, and his farm now consists of 970 acres, 500 of which is under cultivation. His life has been devoted to agricultural pursuits, and few men have applied themselves more assiduously than he, or have been more successful, not only in the accumulation of property, but in the perfection of an honorable record. Politically, he affiliates with the Democratic party, and both he and his wife are worthy members of the Friends' Meeting.


From:
History of Cass Couny, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of some of it's Prominent Men and Pioneers.
Waterman, Watkins & Co., Chicago 1882.

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies Counter

Counter