Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
In 1850, came to the new village George W. and Julius C. Andrews, moving from Portage County, Ohio, whither
the family had emigrated from Vermont. They opened the first hardware and tinning establishment in Dowagiac, occupying
at the start the basement of the old American (now the Commercial) House. Julius C. Andrews removed in 1853, to
California. George W. Andrews, who brought with him to the village his wife, Sarah A. (Jones), and two children,
has ever since resided in Dowagiac and been one of its leading citizens. Soon after coming to the place, he was
elected Justice of the Peace and has served most of the time since in that capacity. His brother, Luman, came to
the State also in 1850, and to Dowagiac three or four years later.
History of Cass Couny, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of some of it's Prominent Men and Pioneers.
Waterman, Watkins & Co., Chicago 1882.