Biography of Harvey C. Sherwood



Berrien County

Online Biographies


Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]

Mr. Sherwood, who is the son of Amos and Mary (Campbell) Sherwood, and the seventh in a family of eleven children, of whom six are now living, was born Feb. 9, 1835, in Onondaga Co., N. Y., of which his mother, who was of Scotch descent, was also a native; his father was born in Connecticut, but was of English descent. His parents were married in Onondaga County, Jan. 25, 1821. Mr. Sherwood remained at home until he was of age, and was given a thorough academical and scientific education, attending different seminaries and the academies at Homer and Onondaga Valley, graduating in the year 1853. His father, who in early life was a merchant, became afterwards a farmer, but remained an active business man, and died about the time his son reached his majority. H. C. Sherwood then went to Syracuse and engaged in bñsiness with his brother, Le Grand Sherwood. In 1865 their copartnership was dissolved by mutual consent, and H. C. Sherwood continued in business as a wholesale and retail grocer until 1870, being quite successful. In the latter year lie disposed of his business in Syracuse and came to Michigan, and began improving his present fine farm, known as "Lake View," on the bank of Paw Paw Lake. Until 1875 he only spent his summers here, returning for the winters to Syracuse, but in that tear he removed with his family consisting of his wife and one son, Robert H., born Jan. 12, 1864, who is now at Olivet College, to Michigan, where he permanently located.

Mr. Sherwood was married, Sept. 4, 1861, to Elizabeth, youngest child of D. Alvord, one of the first to engage in the manufacture of salt at Syracuse, and who settled in Onondaga County in 1796.

The present home of Mr. Sherwood consists of four hundred acres, lying on sections 11 and 12, in the township of Watervliet, and is especially adapted to fruit-raising. Mr. Sherwood already has forty acres set with peach, apple, and pear-trees, and sixteen acres of peach-trees are in fine bearing condition, the net profit from this source alone having been over ten thousand dollars in three years. This farm, when it became the property of Mr. Sherwood, was covered by a thick growth of timber, but at present about three hundred and fifty acres are improved and in a state of cultivation. Mr. Sherwood also pays considerable attention to the introduction of fine stock, which none appreciate better than he, and he is the present owner of two hundred Merino sheep, thirty head of cattle, and nine horses, some of the latter being of the famous Percheron Norman breed of draft horses. He raises considerable grain of various kinds; also owns a tract of fine timberland lying in Allegan and the southern part of Berrien Counties. He takes great pride in his farm, and labors to make it a model of its class. He is a member of the State Pomological Society, and takes deep interest in its affairs. He is also a member of the executive board of the Western Michigan Agricultural and Industrial Society. Politically, he has been a life-long Democrat. He and his wife united with the First Presbyterian Church of Syracuse, N. Y., soon after their marriage.

History of Berrien and Van Buren Counties, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers.
D. W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincoff & Co., Philadelphia.

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies Counter