Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
GEORGE H. SCOTT was born in East Poultney, Vt., June 19, 1817. Spent his early life at home. When fifteen years
old he entered the store of Wm. P. Myers, in East Poultney, as a clerk; stayed three years, at a salary of fifty
dollars a year, with boarding and washing. At the end of this time he decided to learn a trade. Selecting that
of tinner, he contracted for three years’ apprenticeship, for which he was to receive one hundred and fifty dollars.
At the end of two years his brother, Reuben Scott, decided to move West, and urged George to accompany him. He
not having filled his contract as to his trade, had to make some arrangement about that. Mr. Judd, his employer,
gave him one hundred dollars for the two years he had spent in his shop, charging him ninety dollars for the time
yet to be made up, leaving George but ten dollars for his two years’ labor. The two brothers left Vermont May 1,
1837, arriving at St. Joseph, Mich., in twelve days, coming by stage to Schenectady, N. Y.; thence to Buffalo by
packet on the Erie Canal, taking stage again to Erie, Pa.; then to Toledo by boat, to Niles by stage, and from
Niles to St. Joseph by steamboat on the St. Joseph River. Here the brothers decided to go into business, opening
a hardwarestore, which business they engaged in three years, when they were burned out, losing heavily. In 1840
bought out a grocery, running this four years. In 1843, George built a vessel, selling his interest out to his
brother as soon as it was completed, again engaging in business in the firm of Warren Chatman. At the end of the
first year another partner was taken into the business Francis Finegan; remained here until 1850; then selling
out, he went to speculating in cord-wood, shipping to Chicago; the business increasing, he took Curtis Boughton
as a partner. In another year’s time they bought a saw mill, taking as partners in this L. F. Warner and Riley
F. Gragg. At the close of the year this firm dissolved, leaving the firm Scott & Warner. At the end of two
years, the war of the Rebellion breaking out, and troops being called for, Warner enlisted, selling his interest
to Scott, who managed the business until 1871. In 1854, Scott and Boughton bought one hundred and sixty acres of
land, Scott moving on the farm in 1861. In the transfer of their property Scott retained fifteen acres of the original
purchase, to which he has since added eighty acres. He also owns other land, one farm of one hundred and twenty
acres, which is the home of his son, George M. In all he has two hundred and seventeen acres.
In politics Mr. Scott is a Republican, and has filled several offices of trust, among which are the following:
postmaster in Royalton for seven years, town treasurer three years, deputy postmaster at St. Joseph (1840) two
On the 14th day of December, 1843, he married Eliza, daughter of David and Charlotte Gragg. Of this union were
born five children, viz.: George M., C. H., Emily L., Charles R., Linda M. All are living. Mrs. Scott died Sept.
History of Berrien and Van Buren Counties, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers.
D. W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincoff & Co., Philadelphia.