Biography of Joseph C. Larimore



Berrien County

Online Biographies


Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]

The parents of the subject of this biography were born in Central Pennsylvania, and resided for some years in Washington County, from whence, in 1802, they removed to Steubenville, Ohio. Here the father engaged in the sale of general merchandise for a time, but afterwards added to his business the manufacture of cotton goods. He also held the office of postmaster for about thirty years. In this village the son was born, and here he remained until early manhood. He attended the village school, and afterwards prosecuted the study of the languages, under the tuition of Rev. George Buchanan, and completed his studies at the academy in his native place. But it was under the careful eye of his father and in association with him that he acquired the strict business habits which have contributed to his success in life. He married a daughter of Judge James Wilson (for many years editor of the Western Herald, an able and influential Whig paper), and in 1834, while yet but a young man, he removed to Niles, Mich., where he engaged in the sale of dry goods until 1838, when he disposed of the business and established the drug store, which still continues, and which is recognized as one of the oldest and most reliable establishments in the State. In 1860 he associated with him in the business Henry M. Dean (who for ten years had been in his employ as clerk), under the present firm name of Larimore & Dean.

In disposition Mr. Larimore is conservative rather than aggressive, but firm and decided in all his opinions. In politics he was a Whig until the rise of the Republican party, when he attached himself to it, sympathizing with that party in all its essential measures. He had no political aspirations, but accepted the appointment of postmaster at Niles under Gen. Harrison, which office he held until after the election of President Polk. In religion he is by education and conviction a Presbyterian of the strictest stamp, and to this church he has ever given his aid and influence, while at the same time he has always been ready to extend the warm hand of sympathy and to fraternize heartily and sincerely with all sister denominations. For twenty five years he has been a ruling elder and for nearly thirty years the treasurer of the First Presbyterian Church at Niles. In 1877 he was again re-elected treasurer, but at his earnest solicitation he was permitted to decline the office. In 1872 he aided to organize the First National Bank, and was its first vice president, which office he resigned soon after, to accept the presidency of the Citizensí National Bank, to which position he has been re-elected every year since. In addition to his daily attention to the drug business and his duties as president of the bank, he is also an officer or director of the Niles Gas Light Company, the Niles Manufacturing Company, the Niles Paper Mill Company, the City and Village Insurance Company, etc.; and he has ever been ready to exitend aid and his hearty co-operation to any and all enterprises whose object is to advance the material interests of the city of his adoption.

History of Berrien and Van Buren Counties, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers.
D. W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincoff & Co., Philadelphia.

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies Counter