Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
A. P. and B. W. King are brothers who trace their origin with commendable pride to a New England ancestry. They
were born in Brighton, Monroe Co., N. Y. A. P. was born May 21, 1825, and B. W., Aug. 25, 1827. Of a fami]y of
seven children only two were girls, and all are living but one brother. Their father, David King, was a native
of the Bay State, where lie was born Oct. 3, 1786. Their mother, Catharine Booth, was born in Stafford, Conn.,
June 16, 1794, but married Mr. King in 1812 in Scipio, Cayuga Co., N. Y. He was a carpenter and joiner; worked
at his trade in New York until the spring of 1841, when he with his family moved to Michigan, landing in Lyons,
Ionia Co., still following his chosen avocation until 1845, when he was killed by a falling limb. Mrs. King remained
on the home until her death, teaching her children by her example habits of industry, economy, sociability, and
honesty. Her precepts were well observed, she never having cause to complain, as they all filled the qualifications
taught and became prosperous and respected. The subjects of this sketch remained at home, assisting their older
brothers to clear up their new borne, until they were of age, and in consideration for said work received a deed
of eighty acres of wild land in lonia County. In the spring of 1846 A. P. hired out to Mr. Jason Cowles, in Johnstown,
Barry Co., for one year, and with this bought 80 acres more in lonia County, his brother, B. W., still remaining
at home improving their first purchase. After A. P.'s time was out in Barry County, he returned to Ionia County,
and built a house on his farm, remaining about one year, making other improvements. June 1, 1848, he married Miss
Mary York, daughter of Henry and Polly York, who were both natives of Saratoga, N. Y., where she was born July
7, 1826. Her father was a farmer, and came to Michigan when she was sixteen years of age, where the mother died
in 1846, the father pursuing life's rugged path unaided and alone until 1S7S, when be, too, was called to try the
divine reality of that which is beyond. After marriage, instead of returning to their home in Ionia, Mr. King bought
the farm where he now lives of his wife's father, consisting of one hundred and twenty-eight acres on sections
28 and 29, Johnstown township, running in debt for it. In about one year the younger brother sold out his interest
in Ionia and joined his brother, he marrying Miss Sallie York, a sister of his brother's wife. They have always
lived as one family, thus proving an exception to the old adage, "No house is large enough for two families."
In 1850 they disposed of their land in Ionia. To their home-farm they have added at different times, until it now
contains four hundred and fifteen acres, three hundred and sixty-five improved.
Though they have met with severe losses, losing at one time by fire three thousand dollars, they rank to-day among
the leading farmers of the county. They might be termed mixed farmers, making a specialty of blooded cattle and
horses. They have at present forty head of short-horns as fine as can be found, and sixteen head of fine blooded
To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. A. P. King were given two children, Frances H., born May 16, 1851, now Mrs. Doty,
and living in same town, and Henry N., born Nov. 23, 1853, still remaining at home. In politics both are Democrats,
but not office seekers, though often solicited. B. W. has been president of the Agricultural Society, and was nominated
for the office of sheriff, but, his party being in the minority, he was defeated. Mr. A. P. King and wife have
been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for twelve years.
History of Allegan and Berry Counties, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of Their Men and Pioneers.
D. W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincoff & Co., Philadelphia.