Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
Isaac, the father of Levi Holmes, was a native of New York, and by trade a harness maker; married a Miss Losee,
had by her eight children, Levi, the subject of our sketch, being the seventh, and born in 1811.
At an early age Levi was hired out by his father as a common farm laborer, and remained in that condition until
he was about twenty-one years old. Then he began life for himself, continning in the same employment, working for
Mr. Philo Reed, a farmer in Dutchess Co., N. Y. By economy and industry he was, in 1843, enabled to buy of his
employer one hnndred and sixty acres of wild land in Michigan, where he now resides. He came during the same year
to improve his purchase, first building a log hut. In 1858 he built the residence he now occupies, which is one
of the best in the township.
In 1844 he was elected supervisor, serving one year, then one year as town clerk, and as justice of the peace for
sixteen years. Has also been highway commissioner, and for several years school director.
In 1835, at Amenia, Dntchess Co., he married Miss Lois Toug, of New Milford, Conn. They have reared eight children,
all living today.
Mr. Holmes is known as a zealous churchman; has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church all his lire in
Woodland, and during that time has acted as local preacher some five years. Has been class-leader during his entire
church experience. In 1874 the church known as the Holmes church was erected. This church has been freely endowed
by Mr. Holmes; in fact, he is its chief supporter, and to his efforts and money the church is chiefly indebted
tor its existence.
Mr. Holmes' life has been eminently upright and pure, temperate in all things, using neither liquors nor tobacco,
and devoting his spare time, energies, abilities, and means towards the advancement and betterment of many of his
neighbors and fellow citizens.
History of Allegan and Berry Counties, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of Their Men and Pioneers.
D. W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincoff & Co., Philadelphia.