Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
The subject of this biography, by all that can be learned from his associates in life, was a man of more than
ordinary ability; he was emphatically a man of affairs, industrious, sagacious, enterprising, and public-spirited.
He was born in Sheffield, Berkshire Co., Mass.. March 4, 1808. His father, William Bull, was of English descent,
a Quaker iu his religious views, and a man of wealth and prominence. He was educated for a physician, but the profession
was not a congenial one, and he became a farmer. Albert E. received a collegiate education and studied law, but
chose the profession of a civil engineer, and shortly after he attained his majority he went to Florida, where
he was employed by the government in the survey of government lands. In 1832 he came to Michigan and located at
“Insley’s Corners,” on Prairie Ronde, Kalamazoo Co. Here he was engaged in mercantile pursuits in company with
a Mr. Kellogg. In the latter part of that year he dissolved partnership with Mr. Kellogg and removed his stock
of goods to what is now Schoolcraft, then known as the “Island,” and prosecuted a successful business in merchandising
for many years. Sept. 7, 1832, he purchased and received a deed of conveyance from Col. Lyman D. Daniels for forty
acres of land, being the south half of the west half of the southeast quarter of section 18, in township 4 south,
of range 11 west, in Kalamazoo County. This land he surveyed and platted as “Bull’s addition” to the village of
Schoolcraft. A large portion of this tract of land has substantial buildings erected upon it, and constitutes the
larger and better portion of the village. Up to the time of his removal to Barry County, Mr. Bull was closely identified
with the development of Schoolcraft and vicinity; his education in civil engineering and surveying made his services
of great value to the people. His reading had been extensive, and his library, consisting of more books than those
in the possession of any of his neighbors, was a source of disseminating much knowledge among the early settlers.
Mr. Bull was one of the pioneers of the town of Rutland, where he purchased a large tract of land, and where he
was extensively engaged in agricultural operations up to the time of his death, which occurred in March, 1865,
at Great Barrington, Mass. He is spoken of by those who knew him best as a man of superior business capacity, public-spirited
in the extreme, and one whose sympathy in behalf of the unfortunate and destitute was always readily enlisted.
Hon. H. G. Wells, of Kalamazoo, who knew him intimately, says, “He was a valuable citizen and a most useful pioneer.”
In 1846 he was married to Miss Lydia A. Shaw, of Volina, Cass Co., Mich. Mrs. Bull was born in Fairfield Co., Conn.,
Oct. 24, 1826, and came to Michigan with her father’s family in 1830. In 1866 Mrs. Bull was again married, to Albert
E. Bull, a nephew of her first husband. He was a man of great benevolence and a prominent member of the Congregational
Church. He died October, 1878.
History of Allegan and Berry Counties, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of Their Men and Pioneers.
D. W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincoff & Co., Philadelphia.