Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
The subject of this biography is descended from Revolutionary stock, his maternal grandfather, Joseph Beecher,
having been a captain in the war of 1776. Mr. Hutchinson was born May 18, 1809, in Chcnango Co., N. Y., and until
his twentieth year was engaged in labor incident to farming pursuits. In May, 1829, he became impressed with the
advantages afforded by the State of Michigan to young men of energy, and bade adieu to the scenes of his early
life. Arriving at Monroe, Mich., he pursued the trade of a brickmaker for a period of three years. This calling
frequently necessitated travel over a wide range of territory, and Mr. Hntchinson remembers traversing the ground
now covered by the city of Toledo when not a dwelling marked the site of the present thriving commercial centre.
In 1834 he located a farm in Emmett, Calhoun Co., upon which he soon after removed and lived the solitary life
of a bachelor.
In May, 1842, he was married to Miss Charlotte Hughes, daughter of John and Elizabeth Hughes, of England, her birthplace.
She came to America when seven years of age, and became a resident of Calhoun County in 1840. Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson
have had four children, two of whom are now residing in Douglas, Allcgan Co. The remaining two are deceased, the
son having repaired to California in pursuit of health, where he died in 1879; the daughter's death occurred in
1870. Mr. Hutchinson in 1862, disposed of his extensive farm in Calhoun County, embracing three hundred and twenty
acres, and removed to his present residence, the land of which has been devoted principally to the raising of choice
varieties of fruit.
He is a firm advocate of the principles of the Republican party, though not an active partisan in politics. In
religious opinions both Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson are liberal, with a profound respect for the convictions of others.
History of Allegan and Berry Counties, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of Their Men and Pioneers.
D. W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincoff & Co., Philadelphia.