Also see [Railway Officials in America 1906]
Nelson, and his wife, Sabrina, Corbett, the parents of the subject of this sketch, were natives of Vermont,
where George W. Corbett was born, Feb. 25, 1831. Seeking a home in the West, they removed to Cleveland, Ohio, where
they resided for a short time. Determining to locate in Michigan, they purchased an ox team and journeyed to Hopkins
township, Allegan Co., Mich., where they arrived in the fall of 1846. They purchased forty acres of land on section
35, and proceeded to erect a log cabin, meantime making their home with Mr. J. O. Round. Once installed in their
new home, everything seemed to prosper until Mr. Nelson Corbett sickened and died, Sept. 23, 1850. The management
of affairs then devolved upon George W., then nineteen years of age. He continued the improvement of the farm,
purchased additional acres, erected commodious farm buildings, and, Oct. 25, 1859, married Martha A. Baldwin, formerly
of Oswego Co., N. Y., at that time visiting a brother, who resided at Allegan. Everything seemed to prosper, and
he had become one of the prominent and substantial men in this portion of the county. Two children had come to
gladden their hearts and enliven their home, Ada O., born April 15, 1860, and Ella M., born Sept. 20, 1872. The
good mother had continued with them, sharing the blessings of a good home, until Jan. 19, 1877, when she died.
Not quite one short year after, Mrs. George W. was called to follow her husband to the grave, having the sympathy
of all who knew him. He was buried with Masonic honors by the Bradley Lodge, of which he was a member, and to-day
a fine monument, marks his resting-place, erected by his devoted wife and companion, who now continues alone in
the path of life, endeavoring to instruct those left in her charge to fulfill their duty to God and mankind. A
sketch, accompanied with their portraits, may be seen in this work.
History of Allegan and Berry Counties, Michigan
With Illistrations and Biographical Sketches
of Their Men and Pioneers.
D. W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia 1880
Press of J. B. Lippincoff & Co., Philadelphia.