Samuel Woodard Cushing was born in Phipsburg, July 27, 1821. He is a descendant of the ancient families of Philbrook,
Cushing, and McCobb. Mr. Cushing obtained such an education as was afforded by the public schools of that day,
together with three years in school in Bangor. During his stay in Phipsburg his home was on Lees Island, where
his immediate ancestors resided, owning this notable island. In 1854 Mr. Cushing transferred his residence to Bath,
where he pursued trade with success, retiring therefrom in 1892. September 26, 1848, he married, in Phipsburg,
Miss Mary Ann Mereen, daughter of Capt. Abel Mereen, who was born July 26, 1831. They have five sons and two daughters,
who have been well educated at high schools and colleges, five of them becoming teachers in the higher departments
William Lee Cushing was born in Phipsburg, July 24, 1849; graduated at the Bath High School in 1868, entered Yale
College in 1869 and graduated with the degree of A. M. in 1872; taught school in New Haven, Conn., - Hopkins Preparatory
School - several years; went to Europe and spent four years studying at Athens; returned to this country in 1887;
became teacher in Yale College. In 1889 he founded "Westminster School " at Dobbs Ferry, N. Y., which
he is conducting successfully. April 6, 1876, he married Miss Mary Strong, of Hartford, and they have three children.
In the spring of 1891 he went on a trip to Europe.
John M. Cushing was born on Lees Island, Phipsburg, February 26, 1851; came to Bath, when three years old, with
his father, Samuel W. Cushing; graduated from the high school in the class of 1868; commenced a sea faring life,
in November of the same year, in the ship Ellen Goodspeed; subsequently went in other Bath and Brunswick ships;
became captain in December, 1872, in command of the ship John O. Baker of Brunswick, when twenty one years of age;
in November, 1875, took charge of the ship Oregon; later was in the employ of the Red Star Line of steamers, plying
between New York and Antwerp; was in the ship brokerage business at Puget Sound four years; came back and was in
the employ of the American Line of steamers, running between Philadelphia and Liverpool; in August, 1886, was chief
executive officer of the Vanderbilt steam yacht, Alva; in June, 1887, took charge of the steam yacht, Susquehanna,
owned by Mr. Joseph Stickney, and is now in command and part owner of a ship. He married Emma Smith, of Bangor,
December 31, 1872, and has two boys and a girl. She died in February, 1884.
Samuel Dayton Cushing was born in Phipsburg, March 3o, 1853; graduated at the Bath High School in 187r; went to
Europe in September, 1872, and pursued the study of music at Leipsic, Germany, three years, as also at London,
where he took lessons on the organ six weeks; returning home he became organist for the Springfield, Mass., Congregational
Church, at the same time teaching music; from thence went to Toledo, Ohio, where he is organist for a Congregational
Society of that city.
Charles Elbridge Cushing was born in Bath, August 11, 1863; graduated at the Bath High School in 1881, and Yale
College in 1885, on which occasion he was class poet and the poem was published in book form; taught school in
New Jersey one year, and then at Yonkers, N. Y., and later in the Commercial College at Portland; thence went to
the City of Colorado Springs, Colo., where he was engaged in teaching; and went to Europe in 1890. He is now teaching
in his brother's school at Dobbs Ferry.
The youngest son of S. W. Cushing is Frank Delano Cushing, born in Bath, December 15, 1871, and who is in Westminster
School preparing to enter college.
History of Bath and Environs,
Sagadahoc County, Maine.
BY: Parker McCobb Reed
Lakeside Press, Printers
Portland, Maine, 1894
Sagadahoc County, ME
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium