Dr. Samuel Eaton Duncan lived in the house now owned by one of his descendants, Chapin Weston, near the
Harding Station of the Maine Central Railroad. The doctor came from Topsham and bought the farm on which this house
stands, in 1772, and died there, June 30, 1782, at 39 years of age. His practice extended to Bath. Doctor Duncan
is ancestor of all those who are residents, of Bath of that name. He had the reputation of possessing great skill
in his profession. He was born in 1743 and married a daughter of Benjamin Donnell, Sr. In 1718 he was living in
the house situated on High street, south of South street.
In 1788 a Doctor Sampson practiced medicine at Bath-Lemont.
Dr. John Hart was born in Ipswich, October 13, 1751; studied medicine with the eminent Dr. John Calif;
came to Bath at the age of 19, and secured a large practice.
Dr. Belshazza Stilkey was born in Hamburg and came to this country during the Revolutionary War, as surgeon
of a Hessian regiment. At the close of the war he settled in Brunswick, and his practice extended to Bath.
Dr. Samuel Adams was born in Killingly, Conn., in 1745, and descended from Henry Adams who came to New
England in 1630; studied medicine with Dr. Nathaniel Freeman, of Sandwich, Mass.; practiced in Truro; served as
a surgeon during the Revolutionary War, in the artillery department, under General Knox, and was frequently in
company with General Washington. At the close of the war settled in Bath, when he was the only physician in the
place, and had an extensive practice. He married four times and had nine children, to all of whom he gave the best
education attainable at that day. He was a charter member of Solar Lodge and its second Master, in 1805 and 1805.
He died in Bath, March 14, 1819, aged 74 years. He was said to have been "the most intelligent and successful
practitioner of medicine in the state."
Dr. Benjamin D. Bartlett was reputed a skillful physician, had notable social qualities, and enjoyed
universal esteem. He was Master of Solar Lodge in 182o and 1821. He moved from Bath.
Dr. Moses Holbrook was, for some years, in practice in Bath, and had the reputation of skill in his profession,
as he was also in the art of Masonry, and was Master of Solar Lodge in the years of 1813, 1814, and 1815. Subsequently
he became a resident of Charleston, S. C.
Dr. Timothy Waldron lived in the fourth house north of the Ropewalk Creek; was surgeon during the War
of 1812 in Col. Andrew Reed's regiment, and was in the campaign at Coxs Head. He had two sons, Timothy and Charles.
The latter became a physician in Bath. He married the widow, Mrs. Welch, eldest daughter of Dr. Prescott, a popular
lady. The father died October 6, 1836, at 55 years of age.
Dr. Josiah Prescott came to Bath about 1825 and practiced here all his life, on the allopathic system,
and was a leading physician.
Dr. Amos Mourse had been a prominent citizen and practitioner at Hallowell, where he had been for a number
of years a leading physician.
Dr. John Stockbridge studied medicine with Dr. G. Hitchcock, in Pembroke, Mass.; received the degree
of M. D. at Dartmouth College and finally settled in Bath, where he practiced until his death. J. Gilman Stockbridge,
son of John, was born in Bath, gradauted at Medical School of Bowdoin College, commenced practice at Bath in 1827,
and continued there during his life. He married Miss Mary R. Harding and had no children.
Joseph McCobb Trott was born in Bath in 1853; educated in the public schools of Bath; studied law with
Judge Washington Gilbert; admitted to the Bar in 1879, and at once entered upon the practice of the law at Bath.
Doctor Rachurn received his professional education in the medical colleges of Edinburg and Glasgow, and
then entered the English army as surgeon. He came to this country as surgeon in the British army in the War of
1812, after which as a common sailor before the mast of a merchant ship he came to Thomaston. While there an accident
occurred which required skilled surgery beyond that of the physicians of the town. Raeburn successfully accomplished
the operation, and the reputation it gave him caused his settlement, in practice, in Warren, where he remained
several years. Later he came to Bath and acquired celebrity as a surgeon, which was a specialty with him, and was
accounted exceedingly skillful. He died about 1840, leaving an American wife.
He was an eccentric man, bold and daring in his practice. Faith in his skill went a great ways with credulous people;
they flocked to see him and he was called to their houses. His prescriptions were off hand and odd. His style may
be illustrated in a case when, at her house, a woman patient asked him what she should eat, when he quaintly replied,
"Anything but the poker and bellows."
Dr. Charles Appleton Packard, A.M., was born in Brunswick, Me., and graduated at Bowdoin College in 1848.
After graduation he studied and practiced civil engineering four years; then studied medicine, graduating from
Maine Medical School in 1857. He first practiced medicine in Waldoboro for nine years; then, moving to New York
State, was in practice at Fordham for four years. In 187o he married Miss Caroline E. Payne, of Erie, Pa., who
died in 1881. He came to Bath, in 1873, where he has continued the practice of his profession up to this time.
Dr. Edward E. Briry, having obtained a classical education at Bowdoin College, and a full medical education
at Boston University School of Medicines, practiced in Boston in 1883 and 1884, and since that time has been in
practice in Bath; has been city physician, member and secretary of the board of health, member of school board,
and boarding officer for this port, serving in these capacities for many years.
Dr. James W. Savage was born January 21, 1830, in Woolwich; received an academical education in Bath;
entered the office of Dr. William E. Payne in 1858, graduating from the Homeopathic Medical College of New York
in 1862, and is in successful practice in Bath.
William Evarts Whitmore is the eldest son of William H. Whitmore by his second wife, Phebe Hayden, and
was born at Arrowsic, November 22 1835. While young he entered upon a sea faring life, became master of ships sailing
out of the Port of Bath, and retiring from the sea, while in the prime of life, engaged in the coal trade in Bath,
in which business he is now occupied.
Denny McCobb Humphreys, son of John C. Humphreys, of Brunswick, was born in Brunswick, October 11, 1838,
and on January 27, 1863, married Miss Carrie Augusta Owen, who was born in Topsham, April 30, 1839. They have had
seven children, of whom there are living, Lillius Barrows (Mrs. A. F. Dunnells), Agnes Whitmore, John Campbell,
Grace Thomson, Alice Mary, and Frederic William. Captain Humphreys followed the sea in his early life, commanding
some of the best ships of Bath build. He retired from the sea while in the prime of life, and made his residence
in Bath, where he has since been engaged in the insurance business.
John Henry Humphreys was born in Brunswick, June 11, 1825, and July 27, 1851, he married Miss Frances
Wilson, who was born in Topsham, August 23, 1831. They had one son, Frederick W. Humphreys, who was born May 31,
1852, and died in Bath, of consumption, May 31, 1876. He was a very promising young man. Mr. Humphreys moved from
Brunswick to Bath in 1866. In his business life Mr. Humphreys was engaged, with his father, J. C. Humphreys, in
milling and ship building in Brunswick; was employed in the Bath Custom House when his father was collector; was
treasurer of Bath Savings Institution from 1861 till his death, a period of thirty years; was a member of Polar
Star Lodge and of Dunlap Commandery. In 1891 he went to California for the benefit of his health, and on his return
died in Bath, June 6, 1891, and was interred with Masonic honors. He left an amiable wife, who is a member of Grace
Episcopal Church and highly esteemed in society.
D. Howard Spear was born in Bowdoinham, Me.; came to Bath at an early age and afterwards learned the
blacksmith trade; was foreman blacksmith at Goss, Sawyer & Packard's for thirteen years; married Ada Sawyer
in 1876; January, 1887, commenced building vessels in the firm of Kelley, Spear & Co.
John McDonald is one of the heavy ship builders at the south end, and had built considerably before he
came to Bath. He has built here the ships, St. Lucia, St. Nicholas, St. John, W. R. Grace, St. Paul, M. P. Grace,
St. David, Santa Clara, St. Steven, A. J. Fuller, John McDonald, St. Francis, St. James, Henry B. Hyde; barks,
W. B. Flint, Factolus; schooners, C. R. Flint, Alice McDonald, Myra B. Wheeler, Kate S. Flint. A total of fourteen
ships, two barks, and four schooners.
Charles W. Taylor was born in Bath, February 14, 1849, and married Mary J. Lewis, at New Bedford, October
26, 1871. He grew up in Bath; was educated in the city schools and Maine Wesleyan Seminary, Kent's Hill; was thirteen
years in the employ of the Eastern Express Company in Boston, and seven years in the employ of the Pullman Company
in Montreal; is now in the coal business in Bath; in 1891 and 1892 was a member of the Common Council, and an alderman
from Ward Six for 1893. In political sentiments he is a Republican.
George H. Nichols was born in Plaistow, N. H., March 16, 1832; came to Bath and was in the dry goods
business from 1861 to 1885; was mayor in 1884; was postmaster from 1885 to 1889; kept the Tontine Hotel, in Brunswick,
from 1890 to 1892; returned to Bath to become manager of the Atkinson Furnishing Company. He married Miss Susan
E. Colby, of Lowell, Mass.
History of Bath and Environs,
Sagadahoc County, Maine.
BY: Parker McCobb Reed
Lakeside Press, Printers
Portland, Maine, 1894
Sagadahoc County, ME
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium