EPHRAIM COWAN of Dunstable, Mass., came to what is now the City of Augusta in 1763, and settled on the lot where
the State House now stands. In 1787 he removed with his family to river lot No. 7, east side, in the township,
now owned by Augustus H. Streeter and others. He served as a soldier in the French War, and was by trade a shoemaker.
For many years, in connection with other pursuits, he pushed the awl and waxed the thread in order to boot and
shoe the children of the early settlers. Mr. Cowan was the first clerk of the "Sandy River Associates,"
and had taken an active part in the purchase and settlement of the township previous to his removal thither. He
died June 9, 1797. His son, David B. Cowan, is found a settler in 1787 upon lot No. 8, adjoining that of his father
on the south; but about 1800 he began to make improvements on a portion of the State lot, where Hiram S. Davis
now lives, and to which he removed with his family in 1805. His death occurred in 1830. From him Cowan's Hill derives
A History of Farmington, Franklin County, Maine
From the warliest explorations to the present time,
By: Francis G. Butler
Member of the Maine Historical Society
Press of Knowlton, McLeary and Co.
Sonoma County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium