JOSEPH BROWN and NATHANIEL DAVIS came to the township in April, 1781. Their families
were the first who penetrated the wilderness this side of Readfield. The road at this time was only a path bushed
out along the river, and full of dangers. The travellers made but slow progress, and as Mrs. Brown, who on account
of lameness was on horseback, was riding down a steep descent, within a short distance of their journey's end,
she was thrown over the horse's head and somewhat injured. Having made but little preparation for the accommodation
of his family, Mr. Brown erected a temporary camp, where they passed the first night in what was to be the beautiful
town of Farmington. Mr. Brown made his settlement on front lot No. 18, east side, now owned by D. V. B. Ormsby
and others. He erected a log house on the interval, which was surrounded by water in the great freshet of Oct.
22, 1785, when his family, during the hours of midnight darkness, were compelled to make their escape in a canoe.
He afterwards erected a framed house on the upland, in 1793, and built the first framed barn in the upper part
of the town in 1787, fastening on the boards with pegs. The frost of Aug. 9, 1783, subjected him to serious loss
in his crops. In 1796 he sold his farm to John Patterson from Damariscotta, and removed to Industry, where his
death occurred about 1810. Mr. Brown was born on the banks of the Merrimac in Massachusetts, and served as a soldier
in the French War, receiving a wound which partially crippled him. Mrs. Brown, whose maiden name was Mary Greeley,
was a native of Haverhill, Mass.
A History of Farmington, Franklin County, Maine
From the warliest explorations to the present time,
By: Francis G. Butler
Member of the Maine Historical Society
Press of Knowlton, McLeary and Co.
Sonoma County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium