Biography of Nehemiah Blodgett
Farmington Franklin County, Maine Biographies





NEHEMIAH BLODGETT came to the township in 1780, and began improvements on front lot No. 44, east side, a part of the same now owned by Hon. George Gower. Nothing is known of his ancestry, although it is quite probable that he came from Dunstable, Mass., where the families of Blodgett, in the latter part of the last century, were very numerous as well as very respectable. He may have joined in the first exodus from that old town to the Sandy River valley. At the first meeting of Reuben Colburn and his associates, held at Sandy River, Oct. 15, 1783, Mr. Blodgett was chosen clerk of the association. He built the third framed house in the township about 1787. The town records show that Jacob Blodgett, son of Nehemiah and Abi Blodgett, was born May 16, 1783, and consequently must have been the third child born in the township. Mr. Blodgett sold his farm to a Mr. Ditson, and he to Capt. Samuel Brown, who erected the house now occupied by Mr. Gower in 1801. Mr. Brown died at sea in 1811, and his widow, Mrs. Susanna Brown, died Sept 18, 1846, aged 94 years. Mr. Blodgett removed from town, and his later history is unknown.

From:
A History of Farmington, Franklin County, Maine
From the warliest explorations to the present time,
1776-1885
By: Francis G. Butler
Member of the Maine Historical Society
Press of Knowlton, McLeary and Co.
1885.


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Sonoma County, CA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012