JOSEPH BATTLE made the first improvements upon front lot No. 33, west side, in 1787. He also made the first
improvements in what is called the Holley neighborhood, in 1790, and erected the first framed barn in that part
of the township. His marriage with Eunice Maloon, in 1784, was the first solemnized in the township. The ceremony
was performed by Dummer Sewall of Bath, in Joseph Holland's log house, a rude dwelling without a floor. A quarter
of of baked lamb was served to the guests on the occasion, but they had no knives except those they carried with
them. Mr. Battle's death probably occurred in 1798, and his widow married, Feb. 28, 1804, John Brooks, who settled
in New Vineyard. The following are the names and births of Mr. Battle's children as recorded upon the town books:
Anna, born Jan. 26, 1786; John, born March 8, 1787; Joseph, born Oct. 17, 1789; Betsey, born Nov. 26, 1791; James,
born Aug. 23, 1793; William, born April 7, 1795; Daniel, born Jan. 23, 1797.
A History of Farmington, Franklin County, Maine
From the warliest explorations to the present time,
By: Francis G. Butler
Member of the Maine Historical Society
Press of Knowlton, McLeary and Co.
Sonoma County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium