Biography of Charles S. Kelley
Bristol County, MA Biographies

Kelley, Charles Sampson, banker, was born in New Bedford, Mass., August 2, 1846, and is a grandson of William and Abigail C. Kelley, natives of Haverhill, Mass., and New Bedford, respectively. Henry C. Kelley, his father, was for several years a leading dry goods merchant in New Bedford. He joined the New Bedford Protecting Society in 1843, became its vice president, and died November 9, 1862, from injuries received at a fire on October 24, while discharging his duties as a member and officer of that organization. He married Ann Howland Allen, daughter of Joseph Howland and Sarah (Howland) Allen, Quakers and natives of New Bedford. She died December 7, 1889, in her sixty ninth year. She was descended from Henry Howland, a Quaker, one of three brothers, who came from England to Duxbury, Mass., in 1625. Charles S. Kelley received a public school education, and at the age of sixteen was obliged to aid in the support of his widowed mother. He was first a clerk for two years in stores. In April, 1864, he entered the banking office of Edward L. Baker, who had established himself in business in 1848. Mr. Baker was succeeded in May, 1865, by Samuel P. Burt, and Mr. Kelley continued with the latter as clerk and bookkeeper until April 22, 1875, when the firm of S. P. Burt & Co. was formed, consisting of Mr. Burt, Gardner T. Sanford and Mr. Kelley. June 2, 1884, by the death of Mr. Burt, the firm name became Sanford & Kelley. This has long been one of the leading banking houses in southeastern Massachusetts, and has occupied its present building since September 21, 1896. Mr. Kelley was one of the founders and has been continuously a director of the Mellin's Food Company of Boston. He was especially active in reorganizing the Board of Trade, being one of its incorporators, and to him is largely due its entire success. He was also very prominent in the Industrial Exhibitions in New Bedford in 1887 and 1888, and was the prime mover in securing the Wamsutta Club House, serving as treasurer and as an active member of its building committee; this body, in 1891, elected him an honorary member, the first and only person holding that distinction. He was an organizer of the Y. M. C. A., April 30, 1867, served thirteen years as its first treasurer, and was largely instrumental in causing the erection of the present building, serving as chairman of its construction committee and treasurer of the building committee. In 1890 he organized the Veteran Firemen's Association and was its first president. He is also president of the New Bedford Protecting Society, and in poiitics is a prominent Republican. He was active in the publication of the Board of Trade souvenir in 1889 and has issued two or three booklets containing valuable statistics relating to New Bedford. June 8, 1871, he married Sarah, daughter of Edmund Anthony, founder of the New Bedford Standard. She was born in Taunton, Mass., May 22, 1843. Their children are Sarah Elizabeth, Caroline S. and Charles S., jr.

Our county and its people
A descriptive and biographical history of
Bristol County, Massachusetts
Prepaired and published under the auspices of
The Fall River News and The Taunton Gasette
With assistance of Hon. Alanson Borden
The Boston History Company, Publishers, 1899.

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Bristol County, MA Biographies

Names A to B
Names C to D
Names E to H
Names I to L
Names M to O
Names P to R
Names S
Names T to Z




New York

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012