WILLIAM B. YOUNG, proprietor of the Champion Planing Mill, and one of the early settlers of Tipton County, was
born in Brown County, Ohio, June 4, 1829. When Mr. Young was two years old, his father died. He continued to reside
in Brown County until his seventeenth year, when the family, consisting of his mother, his sister and himself,
removed to Jennings County, Ind. There, he followed farming for two years, and at the end of that time he went
to Kent, Jefferson Co., Ind., and commenced to learn the cabinet trade, during which time, 1849, his mother died.
After he had mastered his trade, about 1850 he removed to Tipton County, and started in the cabinet business for
himself, and in connection therewith conducted a furniture store. In 1874, he erected the Champion Planing Mill,
which he managed in connection with his other business until 1881, when he sold out his cabinet and furniture business.
Since that time, he has devoted himself entirely to the management of the planing mill. Since its erection
in 1874, the mill was once entirely destroyed by fire. But, notwithstanding the crushing loss he sustained, Mr.
Young at once rebuilt it, on an improved plan, with improved, machinery, and the business of the mill has so increased
that the annual amount of lumber turned out approximates 125,000 feet. Mr. Young has been twice married, first,
on the 8th of June, 1848, to Miss Catharine Green, who died January, 1853; secondly, on the 4th of August, 1853,
in Jennings County, Ind., to Miss Mary A. Green. By his first wife, he has two children, Seneca G. Young and Mrs.
Mary I. Long. By his second wife, he has three children, viz., Ella, Lulu A. and Anna E. He has a nice brick residence
on West Jefferson street. Politically, he is a Republican, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and also of the
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium