R. W. WRIGHT is a native of Fayette County, Ind., where he was born March 13, 1829; his father, a native of
North Carolina, removed, in 1837, to what is now Madison Township, Tipton County, but then a part of the county
of Hamilton, and settled on a tract of land in the timber, consisting of a hall section, which he entered of Congress.
Here the subject of this sketch assisted his father in clearing up a farm. Over a hundred acres were prepared and
put in a high state of cultivation; then a substantial brick residence was erected on the cleared tract,
where the father resided until the time of his death, which occurred in September, 1859, after, having reared a
family of seven children, four sons and three daughters, namely : Robert W.; John W., a resident of Iowa; Asberry
P., a resident of Marion County, Ind., and James T. (deceased); also, Mrs. Mary J. Orr, of Arcadia, Hamilton Co.,
Ind.; Mrs. Sarah E. Lily, of Tipton County, and Mrs. Elizabeth J. Meritt. Mr. Wright, in 1849, learned the carpenter's
trade, which he followed for three years, at the expiration of which time he engaged in farming in Cicero Township,
Tipton County, continuing in that business until the year 1856, when he sold his farm and removed to Appanoose
County, Iowa, where he purchased land and made a farm. In 1860, he sold his Iowa land and returned to Tipton County,
where he again followed farming until the year 1866. when he removed to Tipton, and engaged in the livery business.
At the time of his removal to Tipton, he was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, and about one
year after he sold out his livery business and turned his attention to the boot and shoe trade, which he continued
until 1869, when he sold out and entered the office of the County Auditor, as Deputy, where he remained in that
capacity for a little over four years. In 1874, he was elected by the Democratic party to the office of Auditor,
and served one term of four years. At the expiration of his term of office, he resumed farming for two years; he
then, in 1880, entered the real estate, loan and insurance business, and has continued it ever since. The style
of the firm is Wright & Long, and they are doing a good business. Mr. Wright owns a good residence on North
Main street, in Tipton, as well as several vacant town lots; he was married in Tipton County, December 15, 1850,
to Miss Eliza J. Blount. The issue of that marriage consists of seven children, five of whom are living. Their
names are as follows : Mrs. Frances P. Winfield, Mrs. Alice B. Martz, Sarah L., Mary B. and Silas Blount; also,
Jasper M. and Newton N., deceased.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium