W. W. WILSON, dealer in groceries at the Banta corner, member of the firm of Wilson & Harvey, is a native
of Montgomery County, where he was born September 16, 1845. His father, John W. Wilson, removed to Tipton County
in 1859, and located at Normanda, where he resided until 1868, and engaged in wagon making. At the end of that
time, he removed to Tipton, where he lived until 1877, when he again removed to Clinton County, where he died April
7 of that year, leaving a widow and nine children, namely, Mrs. Lydia A. Evans, Woodroe A., C. M., Milton W., John
P., Mrs. Martha K Ward, James M., Mrs. Philena Lamb, Joseph S., all, of whom reside in Kansas, except our subject
and Mrs. Martha E. Ward. His mother, Mrs. Margaret Wilson, died in Layette County, Kan., September 13, 1881. In
January, 1864, Woodroe W. enlisted in the United States Army, in Company B, Seventy fifth Regiment Indiana Volunteer
Infantry, and was assigned to the Second Brigade, Third Division and Fourteenth Army Corps. He was with Sherman
during the whole of his memorable campaign to the sea, and was in all the principal battles of that time. He was
discharged in July, 1865. After his discharge, he returned home, and in 1867 engaged in the saw mill and lumber
business until 1872, in Tipton. He then disposed of his interest in that business and engaged in wagon making,
a trade that he had learned under his father. This he continued until September, 1882, when he again sold out and
commenced his present vocation. The firm of which he is a member carry about $2,000 stock, and are doing a good
business. Mr. Wilson was married, May 20, 1872, to Miss Orpha Long, of Tipton, daughter of John Long, County Recorder.
They have four children, John M., Luella, Woodroe and Nancy M. Mr. Wilson is the owner of a very nice residence
in Tipton, and is politically a Republican.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium