JAMES N. RICHARDS is the son of Elias and Sarah (Jones) Richards, natives of North Carolina. His parents emigrated
to Indiana in an early day, and settled in Hamilton County, where our subject was born January 22, 1838. When twelve
years of age, he removed with his father to Washington County, where he served an apprenticeship at the cabinet
maker's trade; he then worked on a farm until 1856, when he came to Howard County and attended school one winter;
he subsequently farmed on rented land until 1862, when he enlisted in Company F Eighty ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer
Infantry, as Corporal. The first fifteen months he did garrison duty at Fort Pickering, Tenn., during which time
he suffered severely from sickness. When he regained his health, he was transferred to Jefferson Barracks, near
St. Louis, and was subsequently transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, and remained until July 17, 1865, when
he was discharged. He then followed agricultural pursuits until 1879, when he located on his present place of 240
acres. He has also on his farm a heading factory and saw mill. Mr. Richards has filled the positions of School
Director and Supervisor; he was married in Howard County, in April, 1857, to Almeda Poff, a native of Indiana.
She died in 1864, leaving three children - John M., William and Elias M. Mr. Richards married his present wife,
Mrs. Louisa R. Jordon, in Tipton County, August 10, 1865. They have three children - Walter M., Elisha O. and James
M. Mrs. Richards has, by her former marriage, one child - John C. Jordon. Mr. Richards is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, the G. A. R., and the Republican party, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium