JACOB G. OFF, Commissioner of Tipton County, is a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, and was born December 25, 1839.
In 1854, he came to America and at once proceeded to Indianapolis, where he for seven years attended night school,
working during the day in order to pay the expense of instruction. During his residence in that city, he also served
an apprenticeship of three years at the carpenter's trade, and followed that vocation until 1863, when he entered
into partnership with his two brothers in the saw mill and lumber business. They operated two mills, one at Indianapolis
and the other at Jackson Station in Tipton County. In 1872, Mr. Off removed with his family to Tipton County; in
1873, the Off Brothers sold their saw mill and our subject then turned his attention to farming on a tract of land
which had been purchased while in the milling business, because of its valuable timber. It contained 400 acres
situated in Liberty and Cicero Townships. The farm has now 180 acres cleared, which laborious feat was performed
by Mr. Off himself. On this farm he produces a large amount of corn and wheat; he keeps a fair amount of cattle
and other stock, and sells from fifty to eighty head of hogs every season. Mr. Off was married at Indianapolis
on the 11th day of April, 1866, to Miss Mary Karthauser. They have four children, namely, Emma R., Edward C., Carrie
W. and Oscar C. Religiously, he inclines to the Lutheran Church, in which faith he was reared. Politically, he
is a Democrat, by which party he has been three times elected to the office of County Commissioner.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium