JOHN P. KEMP, of the firm of Waugh & Kemp, attorneys, is a native of Tipton County, where he was born December
17, 1854; he is the son of David Kemp, and was raised in the western part of the county, on what is known as the
Indian Prairie; his education was obtained in the common schools of the county, and afterward at Asbury University,
Greencastle, and the Northern Indiana Normal School at Valparaiso, Ind., at which last named school he was graduated
in the scientific course in 1878. Prior to his graduation, Mr. Kemp taught several terms in the common schools
of the county; after it, however, he located in Tipton and commenced his legal studies in the office of Hon. Dan
Waugh. After his admission to the bar, he practiced his profession for awhile in partnership with J. M. Fippen.
This partnership was dissolved in November, 1882, and Mr. Kemp then formed a partnership with his preceptor, Mr.
Waugh; he was married, on the 11th of April, 1882, to Miss Bell Cox, at Tipton, and resides in a very desirable
property on North Main Street. Politically, Mr. Kemp is a Democrat, and a member of the Odd Fellow and Masonic
fraternities. The firm of which he is a member stands in the front ranks of the Tipton bar, and does a thriving
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium