S. C. JOHNSON is the son of Lankston and Elizabeth (Cauthan) Johnson, both natives of Virginia. His parents
came to Indiana about the year 1824, and located in Jennings County, and came to Tipton County in 1854. Mr. L.
Johnson died in October, 1869, and his wife is still living, and is the oldest person in Liberty Township. The
subject of his sketch was born in Jennings County, Ind., March 29, 1826, where he was reared and educated. He learned
the blacksmith's trade at North Vernon, Ind., and February 27, 1854, located in Sharpsville, where he pursued his
trade until 1864. He then enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fortieth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry,
and served until the close of the war; he was discharged at Greensboro, N. C., and was mustered out at Indianapolis;
he then returned to Sharpsville and worked at his trade until the fall of 1869, when he sold out and removed to
Indianapolis. He continued in the same occupation until March, 1871, when he located at Walesboro Bartholomew Co.,
Ind., and one year later returned to Sharpsville, where he has since been engaged in the manufacture of wagons
and buggies, in general blacksmithing and custom work. Mr. Johnson was married in Jennings County, Ind., November
7, 1854, to Miss Ruth E. Johnson, a native of Jennings County, and daughter of Barnett P. and Lucy (Merrell) Johnson.
This union is blessed with one child-Elmer E. Mr. Johnson is an active politician in the Republican party, and
he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium