HENRY H. HARVEY, of the firm of Wilson & Harvey, grocers, in Tipton, was born February 25, 1843, in Hamilton
County, Ind. His father, Thomas Harvey, was born August 19, 1810, in Wayne County, Ind., and was married in September
1835, to Miss Anna Hoover, a native of Wayne County. He then removed to Hamilton County, Ind., located in the woods,
and cleared out a good farm. He was a successful farmer, and accumulated a good share of property. He took an active
interest in politics and filled the office of County Commissioner two terms. He was Justice of the Peace many terms,
and in 1848 was elected by the Democratic party as Representative of Hamilton County to the State Legislature.
In 1867, be removed to Wayne County, Ind., where he died July 17, 1879, leaving a family of nine children. Henry
H. Harvey was reared in his native county, and August 8, 1862, enlisted in Company A, Fifth Regiment Indiana Volunteer
Cavalry. He was on Sherman's march to the sea, as far as Atlanta, where he was made prisoner July 31, 1864, and
was confined seven months in the Andersonville Prison on half rations. He was discharged from service June 16,
1865, when he returned to Hamilton County. He attended school one year, and then engaged in teaching in Hamilton
County; he worked in a printing office about two years, and learned the printer's trade. He then engaged in farming
in Wayne County until 1879, and upon the death of his father he embarked in the grocery business at Richmond, Ind.
Here he continued in business until the fall of 1882, when he removed to Tipton, Ind., where he has since carried
on the grocery business. Mr. Harvey was married, November 12, 1868, to Miss Annie Long. They have three children,
Lulu, Clinton and Frank. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the Greenback party.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium